Advancing Clinical Trials in Nursing Homes: A Proposed Roadmap to Success.
AuthorGurwitz, Jerry H
Quinn, Charlene C
Abi-Elias, Ivan H
Adams, Alyce S
Magaziner, Jay S
Mazor, Kathleen M
Mitchell, Susan L
JournalJournal of the American Medical Directors Association
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAn effective clinical research effort in nursing homes to address prevention and treatment of COVID-19 faced overwhelming challenges. Under the Health Care Systems Research Network-Older Americans Independence Centers AGING Initiative, a multidisciplinary Stakeholder Advisory Panel was convened to develop recommendations to improve the capability of the clinical research enterprise in US nursing homes. The Panel considered the nursing home as a setting for clinical trials, reviewed the current state of clinical trials in nursing homes, and ultimately developed recommendations for the establishment of a nursing home clinical trials research network that would be centrally supported and administered. This report summarizes the Panel's recommendations, which were developed in alignment with the following core principles: build on available research infrastructure where appropriate; leverage existing productive partnerships of researchers with groups of nursing homes and nursing home corporations; encompass both efficacy and effectiveness clinical trials; be responsive to a broad range of stakeholders including nursing home residents and their care partners; be relevant to an expansive range of clinical and health care delivery research questions; be able to pivot as necessary to changing research priorities and circumstances; create a pathway for industry-sponsored research as appropriate; invest in strategies to increase diversity in study populations and the research workforce; and foster the development of the next generation of nursing home researchers. © 2021 AMDA – The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 AMDA – The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17603
- Advancing Clinical Trials in Nursing Homes: A Proposed Roadmap to Success.
- Authors: Gurwitz JH, Quinn CC, Abi-Elias IH, Adams AS, Bartel R, Bonner A, Boxer R, Delude C, Gifford D, Hanson B, Ito K, Jain P, Magaziner JS, Mazor KM, Mitchell SL, Mody L, Nace D, Ouslander J, Reifsnyder JA, Resnick B, Zimmerman S
- Issue date: 2022 Mar
- Advancing clinical trials in nursing homes: A proposed roadmap to success.
- Authors: Gurwitz JH, Quinn CC, Abi-Elias IH, Adams AS, Bartel R, Bonner A, Boxer R, Delude C, Gifford D, Hanson B, Ito K, Jain P, Magaziner JS, Mazor KM, Mitchell SL, Mody L, Nace D, Ouslander J, Reifsnyder J, Resnick B, Zimmerman S
- Issue date: 2022 May-Jun
- Stakeholders' views on priorities essential for establishing a supportive environment for clinical trials in nursing homes.
- Authors: Delude C, Abi-Elias IH, Quinn CC, Adams AS, Magaziner JS, Ito K, Jain P, Gurwitz JH, Mazor KM
- Issue date: 2022 Apr
- Effectiveness of Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna Vaccines in Preventing SARS-CoV-2 Infection Among Nursing Home Residents Before and During Widespread Circulation of the SARS-CoV-2 B.1.617.2 (Delta) Variant - National Healthcare Safety Network, March 1-August 1, 2021.
- Authors: Nanduri S, Pilishvili T, Derado G, Soe MM, Dollard P, Wu H, Li Q, Bagchi S, Dubendris H, Link-Gelles R, Jernigan JA, Budnitz D, Bell J, Benin A, Shang N, Edwards JR, Verani JR, Schrag SJ
- Issue date: 2021 Aug 27
- County-Level Social Determinants of Health and COVID-19 in Nursing Homes, United States, June 1, 2020-January 31, 2021.
- Authors: Hege A, Lane S, Spaulding T, Sugg M, Iyer LS
- Issue date: 2022 Jan-Feb