A rapid RNA extraction-free lateral flow assay for molecular point-of-care detection of SARS-CoV-2 augmented by chemical probes.
JournalBiosensors & Bioelectronics
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic has highlighted the major shortcoming of healthcare systems globally in their inability to diagnose the disease rapidly and accurately. At present, the molecular approaches for diagnosing COVID-19 primarily use reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) to create and amplify cDNA from severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) RNA. Although molecular tests are reported to be specific, false negatives are quite common. Furthermore, literally all these tests require a step involving RNA isolation which does not make them point-of-care (POC) in the true sense. Here, we report a lateral flow strip-based RNA extraction and amplification-free nucleic acid test (NAT) for rapid diagnosis of positive COVID-19 cases at POC. The assay uses highly specific 6-carboxyfluorescein (6-FAM) and biotin labeled antisense oligonucleotides (ASOs) as probes those are designed to target N-gene sequence of SARS-CoV-2. Additionally, we utilized cysteamine capped gold-nanoparticles (Cyst-AuNPs) to augment the signal further for enhanced sensitivity. Without any large-stationary equipment and highly trained staffers, the entire sample-to-answer approach in our case would take less than 30 min from a patient swab sample collection to final diagnostic result. Moreover, when evaluated with 60 clinical samples and verified with an FDA-approved TaqPath RT-PCR kit for COVID-19 diagnosis, the assay obtained almost 99.99% accuracy and specificity. We anticipate that the newly established low-cost amplification-free detection of SARS-CoV-2 RNA will aid in the development of a platform technology for rapid and POC diagnosis of COVID-19 and other pathogens.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
Lateral flow assay
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17597
- RNA-extraction-free nano-amplified colorimetric test for point-of-care clinical diagnosis of COVID-19.
- Authors: Alafeef M, Moitra P, Dighe K, Pan D
- Issue date: 2021 Jun
- Rapid and Visual Detection of SARS-CoV-2 Using Multiplex Reverse Transcription Loop-Mediated Isothermal Amplification Linked With Gold Nanoparticle-Based Lateral Flow Biosensor.
- Authors: Chen X, Zhou Q, Li S, Yan H, Chang B, Wang Y, Dong S
- Issue date: 2021
- Selective Naked-Eye Detection of SARS-CoV-2 Mediated by N Gene Targeted Antisense Oligonucleotide Capped Plasmonic Nanoparticles.
- Authors: Moitra P, Alafeef M, Dighe K, Frieman MB, Pan D
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 23
- Multiplex reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification combined with nanoparticle-based lateral flow biosensor for the diagnosis of COVID-19.
- Authors: Zhu X, Wang X, Han L, Chen T, Wang L, Li H, Li S, He L, Fu X, Chen S, Xing M, Chen H, Wang Y
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 15
- Rapid, point-of-care antigen and molecular-based tests for diagnosis of SARS-CoV-2 infection.
- Authors: Dinnes J, Deeks JJ, Adriano A, Berhane S, Davenport C, Dittrich S, Emperador D, Takwoingi Y, Cunningham J, Beese S, Dretzke J, Ferrante di Ruffano L, Harris IM, Price MJ, Taylor-Phillips S, Hooft L, Leeflang MM, Spijker R, Van den Bruel A, Cochrane COVID-19 Diagnostic Test Accuracy Group.
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 26