A rapid RNA extraction-free lateral flow assay for molecular point-of-care detection of SARS-CoV-2 augmented by chemical probes.
JournalBiosensors & Bioelectronics
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic has highlighted the major shortcoming of healthcare systems globally in their inability to diagnose the disease rapidly and accurately. At present, the molecular approaches for diagnosing COVID-19 primarily use reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) to create and amplify cDNA from severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) RNA. Although molecular tests are reported to be specific, false negatives are quite common. Furthermore, literally all these tests require a step involving RNA isolation which does not make them point-of-care (POC) in the true sense. Here, we report a lateral flow strip-based RNA extraction and amplification-free nucleic acid test (NAT) for rapid diagnosis of positive COVID-19 cases at POC. The assay uses highly specific 6-carboxyfluorescein (6-FAM) and biotin labeled antisense oligonucleotides (ASOs) as probes those are designed to target N-gene sequence of SARS-CoV-2. Additionally, we utilized cysteamine capped gold-nanoparticles (Cyst-AuNPs) to augment the signal further for enhanced sensitivity. Without any large-stationary equipment and highly trained staffers, the entire sample-to-answer approach in our case would take less than 30 min from a patient swab sample collection to final diagnostic result. Moreover, when evaluated with 60 clinical samples and verified with an FDA-approved TaqPath RT-PCR kit for COVID-19 diagnosis, the assay obtained almost 99.99% accuracy and specificity. We anticipate that the newly established low-cost amplification-free detection of SARS-CoV-2 RNA will aid in the development of a platform technology for rapid and POC diagnosis of COVID-19 and other pathogens.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
Lateral flow assay
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17597
- RNA-extraction-free nano-amplified colorimetric test for point-of-care clinical diagnosis of COVID-19.
- Authors: Alafeef M, Moitra P, Dighe K, Pan D
- Issue date: 2021 Jun
- Rapid and Visual Detection of SARS-CoV-2 Using Multiplex Reverse Transcription Loop-Mediated Isothermal Amplification Linked With Gold Nanoparticle-Based Lateral Flow Biosensor.
- Authors: Chen X, Zhou Q, Li S, Yan H, Chang B, Wang Y, Dong S
- Issue date: 2021
- Selective Naked-Eye Detection of SARS-CoV-2 Mediated by N Gene Targeted Antisense Oligonucleotide Capped Plasmonic Nanoparticles.
- Authors: Moitra P, Alafeef M, Dighe K, Frieman MB, Pan D
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 23
- CLEVER assay: A visual and rapid RNA extraction-free detection of SARS-CoV-2 based on CRISPR-Cas integrated RT-LAMP technology.
- Authors: Bhatt A, Fatima Z, Ruwali M, Misra CS, Rangu SS, Rath D, Rattan A, Hameed S
- Issue date: 2022 Aug
- Multiplex reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification combined with nanoparticle-based lateral flow biosensor for the diagnosis of COVID-19.
- Authors: Zhu X, Wang X, Han L, Chen T, Wang L, Li H, Li S, He L, Fu X, Chen S, Xing M, Chen H, Wang Y
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 15