Inhibition of mTOR or MAPK ameliorates vmhcl/myh7 cardiomyopathy in zebrafish.
PublisherAmerican Society for Clinical Investigation
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMyosin heavy chain 7 (MYH7) is a major causative gene for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, but the affected signaling pathways and therapeutics remain elusive. In this research, we identified ventricle myosin heavy chain like (vmhcl) as a zebrafish homolog of human MYH7, and we generated vmhcl frameshift mutants. We noted vmhcl-based embryonic cardiac dysfunction (VEC) in the vmhcl homozygous mutants and vmhcl-based adult cardiomyopathy (VAC) phenotypes in the vmhcl heterozygous mutants. Using the VEC model, we assessed 7 known cardiomyopathy signaling pathways pharmacologically and 11 candidate genes genetically via CRISPR/Cas9 genome editing technology based on microhomology-mediated end joining (MMEJ). Both studies converged on therapeutic benefits of mTOR or mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) inhibition of VEC. While mTOR inhibition rescued the enlarged nuclear size of cardiomyocytes, MAPK inhibition restored the prolonged cell shape in the VEC model. The therapeutic effects of mTOR and MAPK inhibition were later validated in the VAC model. Together, vmhcl/myh7 loss of function is sufficient to induce cardiomyopathy in zebrafish. The VEC and VAC models in zebrafish are amenable to both efficient genetic and chemical genetic tools, offering a rapid in vivo platform for discovering candidate signaling pathways of MYH7 cardiomyopathy.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17583
- Haploinsufficiency of mechanistic target of rapamycin ameliorates bag3 cardiomyopathy in adult zebrafish.
- Authors: Ding Y, Dvornikov AV, Ma X, Zhang H, Wang Y, Lowerison M, Packard RR, Wang L, Chen J, Zhang Y, Hsiai T, Lin X, Xu X
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 1
- Phenotyping an adult zebrafish lamp2 cardiomyopathy model identifies mTOR inhibition as a candidate therapy.
- Authors: Dvornikov AV, Wang M, Yang J, Zhu P, Le T, Lin X, Cao H, Xu X
- Issue date: 2019 Aug
- TFEB Overexpression, Not mTOR Inhibition, Ameliorates RagC(S75Y) Cardiomyopathy.
- Authors: Kim M, Lu L, Dvornikov AV, Ma X, Ding Y, Zhu P, Olson TM, Lin X, Xu X
- Issue date: 2021 May 23
- Haploinsufficiency of target of rapamycin attenuates cardiomyopathies in adult zebrafish.
- Authors: Ding Y, Sun X, Huang W, Hoage T, Redfield M, Kushwaha S, Sivasubbu S, Lin X, Ekker S, Xu X
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 2
- Zebrafish VCAP1X2 regulates cardiac contractility and proliferation of cardiomyocytes and epicardial cells.
- Authors: Hsieh FC, Lu YF, Liau I, Chen CC, Cheng CM, Hsiao CD, Hwang SL
- Issue date: 2018 May 18