Potential Mechanisms Underlying Hypoxia-Induced Diabetes in a Rodent Model: Implications for COVID-19
JournalChildren (Basel, Switzerland)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPrevious studies reported that repetitive hypoxia in rat pups reduces insulin secretion and elevates fasting blood glucose levels; these sequelae persisted for several months. This report describes how episodic hypoxic events elevate a chloride ion exporter, K+-Cl- cotransporter-2 (KCC2), in the plasma membrane of insulin-secreting pancreatic β-cells. We assume that acute diabetic symptoms observed in rat pups with periodic oxygen desaturation could result from a lack of blood insulin levels due to disturbed β-cell function. This acute hypo-insulinemia may result from a disruption in chloride balance in β-cells arising from an imbalanced KCC2-NKCC1 (chloride exporter-importer) density as a consequence of periodic oxygen desaturation. Mechanistically, we postulate that a reduced insulin secretion due to the KCC2-NKCC1 imbalance subsequent to acute oxygen desaturation could result in hyperglycemia in rat pups, paralleling symptoms shown in patients with COVID-19 who experienced acute respiratory distress.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17466
- Role of NKCC1 and KCC2 in Epilepsy: From Expression to Function.
- Authors: Liu R, Wang J, Liang S, Zhang G, Yang X
- Issue date: 2019
- Cervical spinal contusion alters Na<sup>+</sup>-K<sup>+</sup>-2Cl- and K<sup>+</sup>-Cl- cation-chloride cotransporter expression in phrenic motor neurons.
- Authors: Allen LL, Seven YB, Baker TL, Mitchell GS
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Sevoflurane-Induced Dysregulation of Cation-Chloride Cotransporters NKCC1 and KCC2 in Neonatal Mouse Brain.
- Authors: Cabrera OH, Tesic V, Tat QL, Chastain S, Quillinan N, Jevtovic-Todorovic V
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- Opposite effect of membrane raft perturbation on transport activity of KCC2 and NKCC1.
- Authors: Hartmann AM, Blaesse P, Kranz T, Wenz M, Schindler J, Kaila K, Friauf E, Nothwang HG
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Increased Slc12a1 expression in β-cells and improved glucose disposal in Slc12a2 heterozygous mice.
- Authors: Alshahrani S, Almutairi MM, Kursan S, Dias-Junior E, Almiahuob MM, Aguilar-Bryan L, Di Fulvio M
- Issue date: 2015 Dec