The Patent Ductus Arteriosus in Adults with Special Focus on Role of CT
JournalDiagnostics (Basel, Switzerland)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe primary imaging modality for the diagnosis of patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) is echocardiography. However, CT may be the technique on which an incidental PDA is first recognized because of the increasing number of chest CT scans performed for a variety of causes. Identification of PDA on CT may lead to earlier closure using a PDA occluder device. Immediate identification of incidental PDA is important, but a high rate of missed diagnosis of PDA has been reported due to its small size and anatomic location. In addition, echocardiography may overlook the presence of even a large PDA due to decrease in the amount of shunting through the PDA caused by high pulmonary artery pressures. This review provides the basic CT anatomy and clinical perspective of PDA, and discusses the role of CT in the evaluation of PDA as well as methods to avoid overlooking a small PDA on CT.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17464
- The new Occlutech(®) patent ductus arteriosus occluder: Single centre experience.
- Authors: Boudjemline Y
- Issue date: 2016 Jun-Jul
- Trans-pulmonary echocardiography as a guide for device closure of patent ductus arteriosus.
- Authors: Kudo Y, Suda K, Yoshimoto H, Teramachi Y, Kishimoto S, Iemura M, Matsuishi T
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- High Rate of False Negative Diagnosis of Silent Patent Ductus Arteriosus on the Chest CT with 3 mm Slice-Thickness, Suggesting the Need for Analysis with Thinner Slice Thickness.
- Authors: Lee D, Son M, Yoo S, Jung S, Chun E, White CS
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 27
- Transcatheter closure of hemodynamic significant patent ductus arteriosus in 32 premature infants by amplatzer ductal occluder additional size-ADOIIAS.
- Authors: Morville P, Akhavi A
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 1
- Patent ductus arteriosus closure using the new Amplatzer Duct Occluder. Preliminary results and review of the literature.
- Authors: Zanchetta M, Dimopoulos K, Rigatelli G, Pedon L, Zennaro M, Pieri D, Rubino A, Bartorelli AL, Maiolino P, Onorato E
- Issue date: 2001 Dec