Acute on Chronic Liver Failure: Factors Associated With Transplantation
Gray, Stephen H
Barth, Rolf N
Thuluvath, Paul J
LaMattina, John C
PublisherWolters Kluwer Health
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: Acute on chronic liver failure (ACLF) carries a poor prognosis unless liver transplantation is offered. We present risk factors associated with proceeding with liver transplantation in patients with ACLF. Methods: A retrospective review of all patients with ACLF who presented to a single transplant center between January 2016 and December 2017 was performed. We compared patients who were transplanted with patients who were not. Results: During the study period, 144 patients with ACLF were identified, 86 patients (59.7%) were transplanted, and 58 were not. The transplanted patients had a lower number of failed organs (4 versus 5, P < 0.001) and lower incidence of ACLF grade 3 (76.7% versus 94.8%, P = 0.014) compared with nontransplanted patients. Liver transplantation offered a 1-y survival of 86% as compared to 12% in the nontransplanted group. Hospital charges were significantly higher among transplanted patients as compared with the nontransplanted patients ($227 886 versus $88 900, P < 0.001). Elevated serum lactate was a risk factor in not offering liver transplantation in ACLF patients. Conclusions: In appropriately selected patients with ACLF, liver transplantation is feasible and can provide above 86% 1-y patient survival even in grade 3 ACLF.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 The Author(s). Transplantation Direct. Published by Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17292
- Liver Transplantation in Acute-on-Chronic Liver Failure: Excellent Outcome and Difficult Posttransplant Course.
- Authors: Chen GH, Wu RL, Huang F, Wang GB, Zheng MJ, Yu XJ, Wang W, Hou LJ, Ye ZH, Zhang XH, Zhao HC
- Issue date: 2022
- Liver transplantation in the most severely ill cirrhotic patients: A multicenter study in acute-on-chronic liver failure grade 3.
- Authors: Artru F, Louvet A, Ruiz I, Levesque E, Labreuche J, Ursic-Bedoya J, Lassailly G, Dharancy S, Boleslawski E, Lebuffe G, Kipnis E, Ichai P, Coilly A, De Martin E, Antonini TM, Vibert E, Jaber S, Herrerro A, Samuel D, Duhamel A, Pageaux GP, Mathurin P, Saliba F
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- Effect of the clinical course of acute-on-chronic liver failure prior to liver transplantation on post-transplant survival.
- Authors: Sundaram V, Kogachi S, Wong RJ, Karvellas CJ, Fortune BE, Mahmud N, Levitsky J, Rahimi RS, Jalan R
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- Stabilisation of acute-on-chronic liver failure patients before liver transplantation predicts post-transplant survival.
- Authors: Huebener P, Sterneck MR, Bangert K, Drolz A, Lohse AW, Kluge S, Fischer L, Fuhrmann V
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Living Donor Liver Transplantation for Acute on Chronic Liver Failure Based on EASL-CLIF Diagnostic Criteria.
- Authors: Bhatti ABH, Dar FS, Butt MO, Sahaab E, Salih M, Shah NH, Khan NY, Zia HH, Khan EU, Khan NA
- Issue date: 2018 Jun