Embryonal Rhabdomyosarcoma with Posttherapy Cytodifferentiation and Aggressive Clinical Course
Macatangay, Regina Ann
Munchel, Ashley Taylor-King
York, Teresa Anne
Montgomery, Elizabeth A
Kallen, Michael E
JournalCase Reports in Pathology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRhabdomyosarcoma is the most common soft tissue sarcoma in children and adolescents. Embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma (ERMS), its most common subtype, is a malignant soft tissue tumor with morphologic and immunophenotypic features of embryonic skeletal muscle. The histologic findings in ERMS typically include a range of differentiation in rhabdomyoblasts from primitive to terminally differentiated forms, and the latter become more prominent after chemotherapy-induced cytodifferentiation. Several reports have shown therapy-related cytodifferentiation to portend a good prognosis in ERMS. We discuss the case of a pediatric patient who presented with ERMS of the orbit. Although her tumor showed extensive posttreatment cytodifferentiation and several other good prognostic clinicopathologic factors, it pursued an aggressive course, resulting in early metastasis and death. This case represents an unusual course and may be instructive as to the clinicopathologic features impacting prognostication, and ultimately the biology, of this aggressive family of tumors.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 Maniraj Jeyaraju et al.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17267
- Pathologic features of rhabdomyosarcoma before and after treatment: a clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical analysis.
- Authors: Coffin CM, Rulon J, Smith L, Bruggers C, White FV
- Issue date: 1997 Dec
- [Rhabdomyosarcoma: morphology and cellular differentiation].
- Authors: Schmidt D, Harms D, Reimann O, Treuner J
- Issue date: 1986 May-Jun
- Cytodifferentiation and clinical outcome after chemotherapy and radiation therapy for rhabdomyosarcoma (RMS).
- Authors: Smith LM, Anderson JR, Coffin CM
- Issue date: 2002 Jun
- Cellular differentiation and prognosis in embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma. A report from the Cooperative Soft Tissue Sarcoma Study 1981 (CWS 81).
- Authors: Schmidt D, Reimann O, Treuner J, Harms D
- Issue date: 1986
- Sclerosing rhabdomyosarcoma in adults: report of four cases of a hyalinizing, matrix-rich variant of rhabdomyosarcoma that may be confused with osteosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, or angiosarcoma.
- Authors: Folpe AL, McKenney JK, Bridge JA, Weiss SW
- Issue date: 2002 Sep