Two Cases of Armour Thyroid Interference in Thyroglobulin Monitoring for Thyroid Cancer
JournalCase Reports in Endocrinology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThyroglobulin (Tg) monitoring is the biochemical standard for surveillance of recurrent differentiated thyroid cancer (DTC). Several assays are available to quantify Tg levels: immunometric assay (IMA), radioimmunoassay (RIA), and the newer liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS). It is well known that a number of entities can interfere with the accuracy of testing, and at this point in time, no one assay perfectly balances high sensitivity with low risk of interference. In this case study, we present two cases in which treatment with desiccated thyroid extract (Armour thyroid) led to a sudden elevation in Tg, which resolved when Armour thyroid was discontinued. This elevation occurred when Tg was measured with both IMA and LC-MS, which suggests direct interference from porcine Tg rather than heterophilic or thyroglobulin antibody (TgAb) interference. We suggest that patients with a history of DTC not be treated with desiccated thyroid extracts consistent with guidelines. Furthermore, more advances need to be made in the area of Tg testing to improve specificity and avoid detection of nonhuman Tg and other similar proteins.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 Michelle Ponder et al.
recurrent differentiated thyroid cancer
Thyroid (USP)--adverse effects
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17229
- Serum thyroglobulin (Tg) monitoring of patients with differentiated thyroid cancer using sensitive (second-generation) immunometric assays can be disrupted by false-negative and false-positive serum thyroglobulin autoantibody misclassifications.
- Authors: Spencer C, Petrovic I, Fatemi S, LoPresti J
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Discordance in thyroglobulin measurements by radioimmunoassay and immunometric assay: a useful means of identifying thyroglobulin assay interference.
- Authors: Crane MS, Strachan MW, Toft AD, Beckett GJ
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Serum thyroglobulin autoantibodies: prevalence, influence on serum thyroglobulin measurement, and prognostic significance in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma.
- Authors: Spencer CA, Takeuchi M, Kazarosyan M, Wang CC, Guttler RB, Singer PA, Fatemi S, LoPresti JS, Nicoloff JT
- Issue date: 1998 Apr
- Clinical review: Clinical utility of thyroglobulin antibody (TgAb) measurements for patients with differentiated thyroid cancers (DTC).
- Authors: Spencer CA
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- The role of a new polyclonal competitive thyroglobulin assay in the follow-up of patients with differentiated thyroid cancer with structural disease but low levels of serum thyroglobulin by immunometric and LC-MS/MS methods.
- Authors: Guastapaglia L, Kasamatsu TS, Nakabashi CCD, Camacho CP, Maciel RMB, Vieira JGH, Biscolla RPM
- Issue date: 2021 Jun