Epigenetic interaction between UTX and DNMT1 regulates diet-induced myogenic remodeling in brown fat
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBrown adipocytes share the same developmental origin with skeletal muscle. Here we find that a brown adipocyte-to-myocyte remodeling also exists in mature brown adipocytes, and is induced by prolonged high fat diet (HFD) feeding, leading to brown fat dysfunction. This process is regulated by the interaction of epigenetic pathways involving histone and DNA methylation. In mature brown adipocytes, the histone demethylase UTX maintains persistent demethylation of the repressive mark H3K27me3 at Prdm16 promoter, leading to high Prdm16 expression. PRDM16 then recruits DNA methyltransferase DNMT1 to Myod1 promoter, causing Myod1 promoter hypermethylation and suppressing its expression. The interaction between PRDM16 and DNMT1 coordinately serves to maintain brown adipocyte identity while repressing myogenic remodeling in mature brown adipocytes, thus promoting their active brown adipocyte thermogenic function. Suppressing this interaction by HFD feeding induces brown adipocyte-to-myocyte remodeling, which limits brown adipocyte thermogenic capacity and compromises diet-induced thermogenesis, leading to the development of obesity.
Rights/Terms© 2021. The Author(s).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17226
- The Histone Demethylase UTX Promotes Brown Adipocyte Thermogenic Program Via Coordinated Regulation of H3K27 Demethylation and Acetylation.
- Authors: Zha L, Li F, Wu R, Artinian L, Rehder V, Yu L, Liang H, Xue B, Shi H
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 9
- Stat5a promotes brown adipocyte differentiation and thermogenic program through binding and transactivating the Kdm6a promoter.
- Authors: Liu W, Ji Y, Zhang B, Chu H, Yin C, Xiao Y
- Issue date: 2020 Apr
- <i>Dnmt3b</i> Deficiency in Myf5<sup>+</sup>-Brown Fat Precursor Cells Promotes Obesity in Female Mice.
- Authors: Wang S, Cao Q, Cui X, Jing J, Li F, Shi H, Xue B, Shi H
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 23
- Neuronal Dnmt1 Deficiency Attenuates Diet-Induced Obesity in Mice.
- Authors: Bruggeman EC, Garretson JT, Wu R, Shi H, Xue B
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 1
- Zfp423 Maintains White Adipocyte Identity through Suppression of the Beige Cell Thermogenic Gene Program.
- Authors: Shao M, Ishibashi J, Kusminski CM, Wang QA, Hepler C, Vishvanath L, MacPherson KA, Spurgin SB, Sun K, Holland WL, Seale P, Gupta RK
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 14