Planar photonic chips with tailored angular transmission for high-contrast-imaging devices
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA limitation of standard brightfield microscopy is its low contrast images, especially for thin specimens of weak absorption, and biological species with refractive indices very close in value to that of their surroundings. We demonstrate, using a planar photonic chip with tailored angular transmission as the sample substrate, a standard brightfield microscopy can provide both darkfield and total internal reflection (TIR) microscopy images with one experimental configuration. The image contrast is enhanced without altering the specimens and the microscope configurations. This planar chip consists of several multilayer sections with designed photonic band gaps and a central region with dielectric nanoparticles, which does not require top-down nanofabrication and can be fabricated in a larger scale. The photonic chip eliminates the need for a bulky condenser or special objective to realize darkfield or TIR illumination. Thus, it can work as a miniaturized high-contrast-imaging device for the developments of versatile and compact microscopes.
Rights/Terms© 2021. The Author(s).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17225
- Luminescent Surfaces with Tailored Angular Emission for Compact Dark-Field Imaging Devices.
- Authors: Chazot CAC, Nagelberg S, Rowlands CJ, Scherer MRJ, Coropceanu I, Broderick K, Kim Y, Bawendi MG, So P, Kolle M
- Issue date: 2020 May
- Variable bright-darkfield-contrast, a new illumination technique for improved visualizations of complex structured transparent specimens.
- Authors: Piper T, Piper J
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- Multifunctional darkfield microscopy using an axicon.
- Authors: Lei M, Yao B
- Issue date: 2008 Jul-Aug
- Waveguide coupled air-slot photonic crystal nanocavity for optomechanics.
- Authors: Shimizu W, Nagai N, Kohno K, Hirakawa K, Nomura M
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 23
- Darkfield adapter for whole slide imaging: adapting a darkfield internal reflection illumination system to extend WSI applications.
- Authors: Kawano Y, Higgins C, Yamamoto Y, Nyhus J, Bernard A, Dong HW, Karten HJ, Schilling T
- Issue date: 2013