CinE caRdiac magneTic resonAnce to predIct veNTricular arrhYthmia (CERTAINTY)
Lima, Joao A C
Ciuffo, Luisa A
Lee, Wei H
Marine, Joseph E
Weiss, Robert G
Tomaselli, Gordon F
Wu, Katherine C
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBetter models to identify individuals at low risk of ventricular arrhythmia (VA) are needed for implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) candidates to mitigate the risk of ICD-related complications. We designed the CERTAINTY study (CinE caRdiac magneTic resonAnce to predIct veNTricular arrhYthmia) with deep learning for VA risk prediction from cine cardiac magnetic resonance (CMR). Using a training cohort of primary prevention ICD recipients (n = 350, 97 women, median age 59 years, 178 ischemic cardiomyopathy) who underwent CMR immediately prior to ICD implantation, we developed two neural networks: Cine Fingerprint Extractor and Risk Predictor. The former extracts cardiac structure and function features from cine CMR in a form of cine fingerprint in a fully unsupervised fashion, and the latter takes in the cine fingerprint and outputs disease outcomes as a cine risk score. Patients with VA (n = 96) had a significantly higher cine risk score than those without VA. Multivariate analysis showed that the cine risk score was significantly associated with VA after adjusting for clinical characteristics, cardiac structure and function including CMR-derived scar extent. These findings indicate that non-contrast, cine CMR inherently contains features to improve VA risk prediction in primary prevention ICD candidates. We solicit participation from multiple centers for external validation.
Rights/Terms© 2021. The Author(s).
cine cardiac magnetic resonance
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17221
- Association of cardiovascular magnetic resonance-derived circumferential strain parameters with the risk of ventricular arrhythmia and all-cause mortality in patients with prior myocardial infarction and primary prevention implantable cardioverter defibrillator.
- Authors: Paiman EHM, Androulakis AFA, Shahzad R, Tao Q, Zeppenfeld K, Lamb HJ, van der Geest RJ
- Issue date: 2019 May 16
- Mean entropy predicts implantable cardioverter-defibrillator therapy using cardiac magnetic resonance texture analysis of scar heterogeneity.
- Authors: Gould J, Porter B, Claridge S, Chen Z, Sieniewicz BJ, Sidhu BS, Niederer S, Bishop MJ, Murgatroyd F, Ganeshan B, Carr-White G, Razavi R, Chiribiri A, Rinaldi CA
- Issue date: 2019 Aug
- Value of CMR and PET in Predicting Ventricular Arrhythmias in Ischemic Cardiomyopathy Patients Eligible for ICD.
- Authors: Rijnierse MT, van der Lingen ACJ, de Haan S, Becker MAJ, Harms HJ, Huisman MC, Lammertsma AA, van de Ven PM, van Rossum AC, Knaapen P, Allaart CP
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Scar extent evaluated by late gadolinium enhancement CMR: a powerful predictor of long term appropriate ICD therapy in patients with coronary artery disease.
- Authors: Alexandre J, Saloux E, Dugué AE, Lebon A, Lemaitre A, Roule V, Labombarda F, Provost N, Gomes S, Scanu P, Milliez P
- Issue date: 2013 Jan 19
- Infarct tissue characterization in implantable cardioverter-defibrillator recipients for primary versus secondary prevention following myocardial infarction: a study with contrast-enhancement cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging.
- Authors: Olimulder MA, Kraaier K, Galjee MA, Scholten MF, van Es J, Wagenaar LJ, van der Palen J, von Birgelen C
- Issue date: 2013 Jan