Proposed therapy, developed in a Pcdh15-deficient mouse, for progressive loss of vision in human Usher syndrome
Zein, Wadih M
Giese, Arnaud Pj
Schultz, Julie M
Hufnagel, Robert B
Brewer, Carmen C
Griffith, Andrew J
Redmond, T Michael
Friedman, Thomas B
Ahmed, Zubair M
PublishereLife Sciences Publications
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUsher syndrome type I (USH1) is characterized by deafness, vestibular areflexia, and progressive retinal degeneration. The protein-truncating p.Arg245* founder variant of PCDH15 (USH1F) has an ~2% carrier frequency amongst Ashkenazi Jews accounts for ~60% of their USH1 cases. Here, longitudinal phenotyping in 13 USH1F individuals revealed progressive retinal degeneration, leading to severe vision loss with macular atrophy by the sixth decade. Half of the affected individuals were legally blind by their mid-50s. The mouse Pcdh15R250X variant is equivalent to human p.Arg245*. Homozygous Pcdh15R250X mice also have visual deficits and aberrant light-dependent translocation of the phototransduction cascade proteins, arrestin, and transducin. Retinal pigment epithelium (RPE)-specific retinoid cycle proteins, RPE65 and CRALBP, were also reduced in Pcdh15R250X mice, indicating a dual role for protocadherin-15 in photoreceptors and RPE. Exogenous 9-cis retinal improved ERG amplitudes in Pcdh15R250X mice, suggesting a basis for a clinical trial of FDA-approved retinoids to preserve vision in USH1F patients.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17126
- Ames Waltzer deaf mice have reduced electroretinogram amplitudes and complex alternative splicing of Pcdh15 transcripts.
- Authors: Haywood-Watson RJ 2nd, Ahmed ZM, Kjellstrom S, Bush RA, Takada Y, Hampton LL, Battey JF, Sieving PA, Friedman TB
- Issue date: 2006 Jul
- Photoreceptor expression of the Usher syndrome type 1 protein protocadherin 15 (USH1F) and its interaction with the scaffold protein harmonin (USH1C).
- Authors: Reiners J, Märker T, Jürgens K, Reidel B, Wolfrum U
- Issue date: 2005 May 12
- Usher Syndrome Type I
- Authors: Koenekoop RK, Arriaga MA, Trzupek KM, Lentz JJ, Adam MP, Ardinger HH, Pagon RA, Wallace SE, Bean LJH, Mirzaa G, Amemiya A
- Issue date: 1993
- Gene structure and mutant alleles of PCDH15: nonsyndromic deafness DFNB23 and type 1 Usher syndrome.
- Authors: Ahmed ZM, Riazuddin S, Aye S, Ali RA, Venselaar H, Anwar S, Belyantseva PP, Qasim M, Riazuddin S, Friedman TB
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- Assessment of retinal structure and function in Ames waltzer mice.
- Authors: Ball SL, Bardenstein D, Alagramam KN
- Issue date: 2003 Sep