Comparison of suicide attempts among nationally representative samples of Mexican adolescents 12 months before and after the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic
Hermosillo-De-la-torre, Alicia Edith
Wagner, Fernando A
JournalJournal of Affective Disorders
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground There is serious concern over the increase in mental health problems during the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic. Methods Based on data from two Mexican National Health and Nutrition Surveys conducted in 2018–2019 and 2020 (n = 17,925 and 4,913, respectively), we estimated the prevalence of suicide attempts among adolescents 10–19 years old in the previous year. We constructed a multivariate logistic regression model adjusted by sociodemographic characteristics and contextual variables for the Covid-19 pandemic. Results The prevalence of suicide attempts in the previous year was similar in both surveys. We found that women, youth in urban localities and individuals living in households where a family member had lost her/his job as a result of the Covid-19 contingency were more likely to attempt suicide compared to their counterparts. On the other hand, attending classes online proved to be a protective factor (aOR=0.3, 95% CI=0.1, 0.8, p = 0.022). Limitations The principal limitation of our study concerned the restricted size of our sample for the 2020 survey wave. Conclusions Population-level policies aimed at providing economic protection and helping youth to return to school would exert a favorable impact on the mental health and suicidal behavior of youths.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021. Published by Elsevier B.V.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17087
- Suicidal Ideation
- Authors: Harmer B, Lee S, Duong TvH, Saadabadi A
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- Adoption as a risk factor for attempted suicide during adolescence.
- Authors: Slap G, Goodman E, Huang B
- Issue date: 2001 Aug
- Exploring the correlates of suicide attempts among individuals with major depressive disorder: findings from the national epidemiologic survey on alcohol and related conditions.
- Authors: Bolton JM, Belik SL, Enns MW, Cox BJ, Sareen J
- Issue date: 2008 Jul
- Suicide Thoughts and Attempts in the Norwegian General Population during the Early Stage of the COVID-19 Outbreak.
- Authors: Bonsaksen T, Skogstad L, Heir T, Ekeberg Ø, Schou-Bredal I, Grimholt TK
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 13
- Thirty-day suicidal thoughts and behaviours in the Spanish adult general population during the first wave of the Spain COVID-19 pandemic.
- Authors: Mortier P, Vilagut G, Ferrer M, Alayo I, Bruffaerts R, Cristóbal-Narváez P, Del Cura-González I, Domènech-Abella J, Felez-Nobrega M, Olaya B, Pijoan JI, Vieta E, Pérez-Solà V, Kessler RC, Haro JM, Alonso J, MINDCOVID Working group ., MINDCOVID Working group.
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 17