HHV-6 Encephalitis After Chimeric Antigen Receptor T-cell Therapy (CAR-T): 2 Case Reports and a Brief Review of the Literature
JournalOpen Forum Infectious Diseases
PublisherOxford University Press
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHuman herpesvirus 6 (HHV-6) reactivation can occur in patients who are highly immunosuppressed, including those who have undergone hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT). HHV-6 encephalitis is a severe manifestation that is well described in the HSCT population. Chimeric antigen receptor T-cell (CAR-T) therapy is a novel cancer-directed immunotherapy that results in severe immunosuppression. Patients undergoing CAR-T therapy may be at risk for HHV-6 encephalitis, which can be difficult to distinguish from a common adverse effect of CAR-T therapy, neurotoxicity. Herein, we describe 2 patients diagnosed with HHV-6 encephalitis after CAR-T therapy and discuss the diagnostic approach and differential diagnosis for altered mental status after CAR-T therapy. Diagnosing HHV-6 encephalitis can be difficult in this patient population as altered mental status is common after CAR-T therapy and may be attributed to CAR-T-associated neurotoxicity.
Rights/Terms© The Author(s) 2021. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of Infectious Diseases Society of America.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17084
- Human herpesvirus 6 and central nervous system disease in oncology patients: A retrospective case series and literature review.
- Authors: Handley G, Hasbun R, Okhuysen P
- Issue date: 2021 Mar
- Human herpesvirus 6 myelitis after chimeric antigen receptor T-cell therapy.
- Authors: Handley G, Khawaja F, Kondapi DS, Lee HJ, Kaufman GP, Neelapu SS, Fayad LE, Tummala S, Chi L, Strati P, Mulanovich VE
- Issue date: 2021 Nov
- HHV-6 encephalitis in umbilical cord blood transplantation: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Authors: Scheurer ME, Pritchett JC, Amirian ES, Zemke NR, Lusso P, Ljungman P
- Issue date: 2013 Apr
- Human herpesvirus 6 encephalitis in patients administered mycophenolate mofetil as prophylaxis for graft-versus-host disease after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation.
- Authors: Inui Y, Yakushijin K, Okamura A, Tanaka Y, Shinzato I, Nomura T, Ichikawa H, Mizutani Y, Kitao A, Kurata K, Kakiuchi S, Miyata Y, Sanada Y, Kitagawa K, Uryu K, Kawamoto S, Yamamoto K, Matsuoka H, Murayama T, Ito M, Minami H
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- Effect of transplant status in CD19-targeted CAR T-cell therapy: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Authors: Nagle K, Tafuto B, Palladino Kim L, Parrott JS
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 11