A Newcastle disease virus expressing a stabilized spike protein of SARS-CoV-2 induces protective immune responses
Martinez, Jose L
Innis, Bruce L
Thai, Duong Huu
Oliveira, Ricardo Das Neves
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRapid development of COVID-19 vaccines has helped mitigating SARS-CoV-2 spread, but more equitable allocation of vaccines is necessary to limit the global impact of the COVID-19 pandemic and the emergence of additional variants of concern. We have developed a COVID-19 vaccine candidate based on Newcastle disease virus (NDV) that can be manufactured at high yields in embryonated eggs. Here, we show that the NDV vector expressing an optimized spike antigen (NDV-HXP-S) is a versatile vaccine inducing protective antibody responses. NDV-HXP-S can be administered intramuscularly as inactivated vaccine or intranasally as live vaccine. We show that NDV-HXP-S GMP-produced in Vietnam, Thailand and Brazil is effective in the hamster model. Furthermore, we show that intramuscular vaccination with NDV-HXP-S reduces replication of tested variants of concerns in mice. The immunity conferred by NDV-HXP-S effectively counteracts SARS-CoV-2 infection in mice and hamsters.
Rights/Terms© 2021. The Author(s).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17044
- Safety and Immunogenicity Analysis of a Newcastle Disease Virus (NDV-HXP-S) Expressing the Spike Protein of SARS-CoV-2 in Sprague Dawley Rats.
- Authors: Tcheou J, Raskin A, Singh G, Kawabata H, Bielak D, Sun W, González-Domínguez I, Sather DN, García-Sastre A, Palese P, Krammer F, Carreño JM
- Issue date: 2021
- Newcastle disease virus (NDV) expressing the spike protein of SARS-CoV-2 as a live virus vaccine candidate.
- Authors: Sun W, Leist SR, McCroskery S, Liu Y, Slamanig S, Oliva J, Amanat F, Schäfer A, Dinnon KH 3rd, García-Sastre A, Krammer F, Baric RS, Palese P
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- Safety and Immunogenicity of a Newcastle Disease Virus Vector-Based SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine Candidate, AVX/COVID-12-HEXAPRO (Patria), in Pigs.
- Authors: Lara-Puente JH, Carreño JM, Sun W, Suárez-Martínez A, Ramírez-Martínez L, Quezada-Monroy F, Paz-De la Rosa G, Vigueras-Moreno R, Singh G, Rojas-Martínez O, Chagoya-Cortés HE, Sarfati-Mizrahi D, Soto-Priante E, López-Macías C, Krammer F, Castro-Peralta F, Palese P, García-Sastre A, Lozano-Dubernard B
- Issue date: 2021 Oct 26
- Newcastle disease virus (NDV) expressing the spike protein of SARS-CoV-2 as vaccine candidate.
- Authors: Sun W, Leist SR, McCroskery S, Liu Y, Slamanig S, Oliva J, Amanat F, Schäfer A, Dinnon KH, García-Sastre A, Krammer F, Baric RS, Palese P
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 28
- Trivalent NDV-HXP-S Vaccine Protects against Phylogenetically Distant SARS-CoV-2 Variants of Concern in Mice.
- Authors: González-Domínguez I, Martínez JL, Slamanig S, Lemus N, Liu Y, Lai TY, Carreño JM, Singh G, Singh G, Schotsaert M, Mena I, McCroskery S, Coughlan L, Krammer F, García-Sastre A, Palese P, Sun W
- Issue date: 2022 Jun 6