ACTL6A suppresses p21 tumor suppressor expression to maintain an aggressive mesothelioma cancer cell phenotype
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMesothelioma is a poor prognosis cancer of the mesothelial lining that develops in response to exposure to various agents including asbestos. Actin-Like Protein 6A (ACTL6A, BAF53a) is a SWI/SNF regulatory complex protein that is elevated in cancer cells and has been implicated as a driver of cancer cell survival and tumor formation. In the present study, we show that ACTL6A drives mesothelioma cancer cell proliferation, spheroid formation, invasion, and migration, and that these activities are markedly attenuated by ACTL6A knockdown. ACTL6A expression reduces the levels of the p21Cip1 cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor and tumor suppressor protein. DNA binding studies show that ACTL6A interacts with Sp1 and p53 binding DNA response elements in the p21Cip1 gene promoter and that this is associated with reduced p21Cip1 promoter activity and p21Cip1 mRNA and protein levels. Moreover, ACTL6A suppression of p21Cip1 expression is required for maintenance of the aggressive mesothelioma cancer cell phenotype suggesting that p21Cip1 is a mediator of ACTL6A action. p53, a known inducer of p21Cip1 expression, is involved ACTL6A in regulation of p21Cip1 in some but not all mesothelioma cells. In addition, ACTL6A knockout markedly reduces tumor formation and this is associated with elevated tumor levels of p21Cip1. These findings suggest that ACTL6A suppresses p21Cip1 promoter activity to reduce p21Cip1 protein as a mechanism to maintain the aggressive mesothelioma cell phenotype.
Rights/Terms© 2021. The Author(s).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17032
- ACTL6A suppresses p21<sup>Cip1</sup> expression to enhance the epidermal squamous cell carcinoma phenotype.
- Authors: Shrestha S, Adhikary G, Xu W, Kandasamy S, Eckert RL
- Issue date: 2020 Sep
- Sulforaphane induction of p21(Cip1) cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor expression requires p53 and Sp1 transcription factors and is p53-dependent.
- Authors: Chew YC, Adhikary G, Wilson GM, Xu W, Eckert RL
- Issue date: 2012 May 11
- Potential Role of SWI/SNF Complex Subunit Actin-Like Protein 6A in Cervical Cancer.
- Authors: Wang Q, Cao Z, Wei Y, Zhang J, Cheng Z
- Issue date: 2021
- The gut-enriched Kruppel-like factor (Kruppel-like factor 4) mediates the transactivating effect of p53 on the p21WAF1/Cip1 promoter.
- Authors: Zhang W, Geiman DE, Shields JM, Dang DT, Mahatan CS, Kaestner KH, Biggs JR, Kraft AS, Yang VW
- Issue date: 2000 Jun 16
- Sp1 regulates Raf/MEK/ERK-induced p21(CIP1) transcription in TP53-mutated cancer cells.
- Authors: Karkhanis M, Park JI
- Issue date: 2015 Mar