PublisherTaylor and Francis Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPeroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ (PPARγ) is the master regulator of adipogenesis, but knowledge about how PPARγ is regulated at the protein level is very limited. We aimed to identify PPARγ-interacting proteins which modulate PPARγ’s protein levels and transactivating activities in human adipocytes. We expressed Flag-tagged PPARγ in human preadipocytes as bait to capture PPARγ-associated proteins, followed by mass spectroscopy and proteomics analysis, which identified serine/threonine kinase 38 (STK38) as a major PPARγ-associated protein. Protein pulldown studies confirmed this protein–protein interaction in transfected cells, and reporter assays demonstrated that STK38 enhanced PPARγ’s transactivating activities without requiring STK38’s kinase activity. In cell-based assays, STK38 increased PPARγ protein stability, extending PPARγ’s half-life from ~1.08 to 1.95 h. Notably, in human preadipocytes, the overexpression of STK38 enhanced adipogenesis, whereas knockdown impaired the process in a PPARγ-dependent manner. Thus, we discovered that STK38 is a novel PPARγ-cofactor promoting adipogenesis, likely through stabilization of PPARγ. © 2021 The Author(s).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17028
- Di-(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate substitutes accelerate human adipogenesis through PPARγ activation and cause oxidative stress and impaired metabolic homeostasis in mature adipocytes.
- Authors: Schaffert A, Karkossa I, Ueberham E, Schlichting R, Walter K, Arnold J, Blüher M, Heiker JT, Lehmann J, Wabitsch M, Escher BI, von Bergen M, Schubert K
- Issue date: 2022 Jun
- Adipogenesis and lipotoxicity: role of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma (PPARgamma) and PPARgammacoactivator-1 (PGC1).
- Authors: Medina-Gomez G, Gray S, Vidal-Puig A
- Issue date: 2007 Oct
- Serine-threonine kinase 38 is regulated by glycogen synthase kinase-3 and modulates oxidative stress-induced cell death.
- Authors: Enomoto A, Kido N, Ito M, Takamatsu N, Miyagawa K
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 15
- Mammalian ste20-like kinase and SAV1 promote 3T3-L1 adipocyte differentiation by activation of PPARγ.
- Authors: Park BH, Kim DS, Won GW, Jeon HJ, Oh BC, Lee Y, Kim EG, Lee YH
- Issue date: 2012
- Sorghum (Sorghum bicolor) Extract-Induced Adipogenesis Is Independent of PPARγ Ser273 Phosphorylation in 3T3-L1 Adipocytes.
- Authors: Nagaoka A, Sakurai M, Kamiie K, Masumi A
- Issue date: 2022