MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCitrate is a crucial energy sensor that plays a central role in cellular metabolic homeostasis. The solute carrier family 13 member 5 (SLC13A5), a sodium-coupled citrate transporter highly expressed in the mammalian liver with relatively low levels in the testis and brain, imports citrate from extracellular spaces into the cells. The perturbation of SLC13A5 expression and/or activity is associated with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, obesity, insulin resistance, cell proliferation, and early infantile epileptic encephalopathy. SLC13A5 has been proposed as a promising therapeutic target for the treatment of these metabolic disorders. In the liver, the inductive expression of SLC13A5 has been linked to several xenobiotic receptors such as the pregnane X receptor and the aryl hydrocarbon receptor as well as certain hormonal and nutritional stimuli. Nevertheless, in comparison to the heightened interest in understanding the biological function and clinical relevance of SLC13A5, studies focusing on the regulatory mechanisms of SLC13A5 expression are relatively limited. In this review, we discuss the current advances in our understanding of the molecular mechanisms by which the expression of SLC13A5 is regulated. We expect this review will provide greater insights into the regulation of the SLC13A5 gene transcription and the signaling pathways involved therein.
aryl hydrocarbon receptor
pregnane X receptor
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/17001
- SLC13A5 is a novel transcriptional target of the pregnane X receptor and sensitizes drug-induced steatosis in human liver.
- Authors: Li L, Li H, Garzel B, Yang H, Sueyoshi T, Li Q, Shu Y, Zhang J, Hu B, Heyward S, Moeller T, Xie W, Negishi M, Wang H
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Plasma Membrane Na⁺-Coupled Citrate Transporter (SLC13A5) and Neonatal Epileptic Encephalopathy.
- Authors: Bhutia YD, Kopel JJ, Lawrence JJ, Neugebauer V, Ganapathy V
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 28
- Silencing of solute carrier family 13 member 5 disrupts energy homeostasis and inhibits proliferation of human hepatocarcinoma cells.
- Authors: Li Z, Li D, Choi EY, Lapidus R, Zhang L, Huang SM, Shapiro P, Wang H
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 18
- Inhibition of citrate cotransporter Slc13a5/mINDY by RNAi improves hepatic insulin sensitivity and prevents diet-induced non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in mice.
- Authors: Brachs S, Winkel AF, Tang H, Birkenfeld AL, Brunner B, Jahn-Hofmann K, Margerie D, Ruetten H, Schmoll D, Spranger J
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- Consequences of NaCT/SLC13A5/mINDY deficiency: good versus evil, separated only by the blood-brain barrier.
- Authors: Kopel JJ, Bhutia YD, Sivaprakasam S, Ganapathy V
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 12