A Comprehensive Overview of the Physical Health of the Adolescent Brain Cognitive Development Study Cohort at Baseline
AuthorPalmer, Clare E
Marshall, Andrew T
Baker, Fiona C
Clark, Duncan B
Dagher, Rada K
Dowling, Gayathri J
Gonzalez, Marybel R
Herting, Megan M
Huber, Rebekah S
Jernigan, Terry L
Lisdahl, Krista M
Patterson, Megan W
Rhee, Kyung E
Thompson, Wesley K
Sowell, Elizabeth R
JournalFrontiers in Pediatrics
PublisherFrontiers Media S.A.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPhysical health in childhood is crucial for neurobiological as well as overall development, and can shape long-term outcomes into adulthood. The landmark, longitudinal Adolescent Brain Cognitive Development StudySM (ABCD study®), was designed to investigate brain development and health in almost 12,000 youth who were recruited when they were 9-10 years old and will be followed through adolescence and early adulthood. The overall goal of this paper is to provide descriptive analyses of physical health measures in the ABCD study at baseline, including but not limited to sleep, physical activity and sports involvement, and body mass index. Further this summary will describe how physical health measures collected from the ABCD cohort compare with current normative data and clinical guidelines. We propose this data set has the potential to facilitate clinical recommendations and inform national standards of physical health in this age group. This manuscript will also provide important information for ABCD users and help guide analyses investigating physical health including new avenues for health disparity research as it pertains to adolescent and young adult development.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 Palmer, Sheth, Marshall, Adise, Baker, Chang, Clark, Coronado, Dagher, Diaz, Dowling, Gonzalez, Haist, Herting, Huber, Jernigan, LeBlanc, Lee, Lisdahl, Neigh, Patterson, Renshaw, Rhee, Tapert, Thompson, Uban, Sowell and Yurgelun-Todd.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16968
- The ABCD study: understanding the development of risk for mental and physical health outcomes.
- Authors: Karcher NR, Barch DM
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- Right care, first time: a highly personalised and measurement-based care model to manage youth mental health.
- Authors: Hickie IB, Scott EM, Cross SP, Iorfino F, Davenport TA, Guastella AJ, Naismith SL, Carpenter JS, Rohleder C, Crouse JJ, Hermens DF, Koethe D, Markus Leweke F, Tickell AM, Sawrikar V, Scott J
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- Measurement of gender and sexuality in the Adolescent Brain Cognitive Development (ABCD) study.
- Authors: Potter AS, Dube SL, Barrios LC, Bookheimer S, Espinoza A, Feldstein Ewing SW, Freedman EG, Hoffman EA, Ivanova M, Jefferys H, McGlade EC, Tapert SF, Johns MM
- Issue date: 2022 Feb
- A Researcher's Guide to the Measurement and Modeling of Puberty in the ABCD Study<sup>®</sup> at Baseline.
- Authors: Cheng TW, Magis-Weinberg L, Guazzelli Williamson V, Ladouceur CD, Whittle SL, Herting MM, Uban KA, Byrne ML, Barendse MEA, Shirtcliff EA, Pfeifer JH
- Issue date: 2021
- Childhood and adolescent predictors of leisure time physical activity during the transition from adolescence to adulthood: a population based cohort study.
- Authors: Jose KA, Blizzard L, Dwyer T, McKercher C, Venn AJ
- Issue date: 2011 Jun 1