Increasing awareness of degenerative cervical myelopathy: a preventative cause of non-traumatic spinal cord injury
AuthorZipser, Carl M
Pedro, Karlo M
Davies, Benjamin M
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDegenerative cervical myelopathy (DCM) is a common non-traumatic spinal cord disorder and characterized by progressive neurological impairment. Generally, it is still underdiagnosed and referral to spine specialists is often late, when patients already present with incomplete cervical spinal cord injury (SCI). To improve early diagnosis and accelerate referral, diagnostic criteria for DCM are required. Recently, AO Spine RECODE- DCM (REsearch Objectives and Common Data Elements for Degenerative Cervical Myelopathy) (aospine.org/recode), an international, interdisciplinary and interprofessional initiative, including patients with DCM, was funded with the aim to accelerate knowledge discovery that can change outcomes. In this perspective we advocate for the participation of SCI specialists in this process, where the expertise and perspective on this disorder and requirements for the diagnostic and therapeutic work up is well developed.
Rights/Terms© 2021. The Author(s).
KeywordAO Spine RECODE-DCM
degenerative cervical myelopathy
non-traumatic spinal cord injury
Research Objectives and Common Data Elements for Degenerative Cervical Myelopathy
Spinal Cord Diseases--diagnosis
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16923
- Gathering Global Perspectives to Establish the Research Priorities and Minimum Data Sets for Degenerative Cervical Myelopathy: Sampling Strategy of the First Round Consensus Surveys of AO Spine RECODE-DCM.
- Authors: Mowforth OD, Khan DZ, Wong MY, Pickering GAE, Dean L, Magee J, Mullarkey L, Hirayama Y, Rihova M, Butler M, Stewart M, Goulson B, Ahmed S, Fricke K, Popa-Nimigean V, Millar Z, Venkatesh A, Willison A, Senthil K, Hazenbiller O, Sarewitz E, Sadler I, Gronlund T, Tetreault L, Harrop JS, Aarabi B, Rahimi-Movaghar V, Kurpad SN, Guest JD, Wilson JR, Kwon BK, Fehlings MG, McNair AGK, Davies BM, Kotter MRN, AO Spine RECODE-DCM Steering Committee and AO Spine RECODE-DCM Consortium.
- Issue date: 2022 Feb
- Establishing Diagnostic Criteria for Degenerative Cervical Myelopathy [AO Spine RECODE-DCM Research Priority Number 3].
- Authors: Hilton B, Gardner EL, Jiang Z, Tetreault L, Wilson JRF, Zipser CM, Riew KD, Guest JD, Harrop JS, Fehlings MG, Rodrigues-Pinto R, Rahimi-Movaghar V, Aarabi B, Koljonen PA, Kotter MRN, Davies BM, Kwon BK
- Issue date: 2022 Feb
- Therapeutic repetitive Transcranial Magnetic stimulation (rTMS) for neurological dysfunction in Degenerative cervical Myelopathy: An unexplored opportunity? Findings from a systematic review.
- Authors: Gharooni AA, Khan M, Yang X, Anwar F, Davies B, Kotter M
- Issue date: 2021 Aug
- Clinical outcome measures and their evidence base in degenerative cervical myelopathy: a systematic review to inform a core measurement set (AO Spine RECODE-DCM).
- Authors: Yanez Touzet A, Bhatti A, Dohle E, Bhatti F, Lee KS, Furlan JC, Fehlings MG, Harrop JS, Zipser CM, Rodrigues-Pinto R, Milligan J, Sarewitz E, Curt A, Rahimi-Movaghar V, Aarabi B, Boerger TF, Tetreault L, Chen R, Guest JD, Kalsi-Ryan S, McNair AG, Kotter M, Davies B, AO Spine RECODE-DCM Steering Committee.
- Issue date: 2022 Jan 19
- Degenerative cervical myelopathy: Diagnosis and management in primary care.
- Authors: Milligan J, Ryan K, Fehlings M, Bauman C
- Issue date: 2019 Sep