MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSevere acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) emerged from Wuhan, China, in 2019, causing coronavirus disease 19 (COVID-19) and creating a global pandemic affecting millions of people worldwide. Though COVID-19 primarily affects the pulmonary structures, deleterious effects can also occur in the cardiac system. We present a case of a patient with recurrent pericardial effusions secondary to COVID-19 infection, an unusual cardiovascular manifestation of this disease. A 47-year-old man presented with altered mental status and tested positive for COVID-19. He left against medical advice and later presented two weeks later with pleuritic chest pain associated with shortness of breath. His symptoms were attributed to a moderate- to large-sized pericardial effusion, without evidence of tamponade, as confirmed by echocardiography. The fluid was removed by pericardiocentesis; analysis was negative for malignant cells, inflammatory markers, or microbiologic studies. Reaccumulation of the fluid necessitated placement of a pericardial window, resulting in the resolution of his symptoms. There are limited case reports demonstrating the association of pericardial effusion with COVID-19 infection. The effusion is likely secondary to the inflammatory response leading to capillary leakage, resulting in pericardial fluid traversing the serous pericardium. In addition to other demonstrated cardiovascular effects, COVID-19 appears to be associated with recurrent pericardial effusion. Due to the rise in COVID-19 cases, it is essential to consider pericardial effusion as a rare but potential complication of this virus. The pericardial effusion can be the primary clinical manifestation, recurrent in nature, and potentially result in tamponade physiology.
Keywordcovid and heart
sars-cov-2 (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus -2)
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16902
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) and Severe Pericardial Effusion: From Pathogenesis to Management: A Case Report Based Systematic Review.
- Authors: Kermani-Alghoraishi M, Pouramini A, Kafi F, Khosravi A
- Issue date: 2022 Feb
- Life-Threatening Cardiac Tamponade Secondary to COVID-19 Treated with Uniportal Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery: A Case Report.
- Authors: Essa RA, Ahmed SK
- Issue date: 2022 Apr 9
- Symptomatic pericardial effusion in the setting of asymptomatic COVID-19 infection: A case report.
- Authors: Amoozgar B, Kaushal V, Mubashar U, Sen S, Yousaf S, Yotsuya M
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 11
- Cardiac tamponade and massive pleural effusion in a young COVID-19-positive adult.
- Authors: Johny D, Subramanyam K, Baikunje N, Hosmane GB
- Issue date: 2021 Sep 13
- A rare presentation of a patient with COVID-19: Cardiac tamponade.
- Authors: Parsova KE, Pay L, Oflu Y, Hacıyev R, Çinier G
- Issue date: 2020 Oct