Balancing Efficiency and Access: Discouraging Emergency Department Boarding in a Global Budget System
Gingold, Daniel B
Fischer, Kyle R
Gatz, J David
Schenkel, Stephen M
Browne, Brian J
JournalWestern Journal of Emergency Medicine
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractReducing cost without sacrificing quality of patient care is an important yet challenging goal for healthcare professionals and policymakers alike. This challenge is at the forefront in the United States, where per capita healthcare costs are much higher than in similar countries around the world. The state of Maryland is unique in the hospital financing landscape due to its "capitation" payment system (also known as "global budget"), in which revenue for hospital-based services is set at the beginning of the year. Although Maryland's system has yielded many benefits, including reduced Medicare spending, it also has had unintentional adverse consequences. These consequences, such as increased emergency department boarding and ambulance diversion, constrain Maryland hospitals' ability to fulfill their role as emergency care providers and act as a safety net for vulnerable patient populations. In this article, we suggest policy remedies to mitigate the unintended consequences of Maryland's model that should also prove instructive for a variety of emerging alternative payment mechanisms.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16849
- Impacts of Maryland's Global Budgets on Medicare and Commercial Spending and Utilization.
- Authors: Morrison M, Haber S, Beil H, Giuriceo K, Sapra K
- Issue date: 2021 Dec
- Maryland's Experiment With Capitated Payments For Rural Hospitals: Large Reductions In Hospital-Based Care.
- Authors: Pines JM, Vats S, Zocchi MS, Black B
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Maryland's Global Hospital Budgets--Preliminary Results from an All-Payer Model.
- Authors: Patel A, Rajkumar R, Colmers JM, Kinzer D, Conway PH, Sharfstein JM
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 12
- Changes In Hospital Utilization Three Years Into Maryland's Global Budget Program For Rural Hospitals.
- Authors: Roberts ET, Hatfield LA, McWilliams JM, Chernew ME, Done N, Gerovich S, Gilstrap L, Mehrotra A
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Changes in Health Care Use Associated With the Introduction of Hospital Global Budgets in Maryland.
- Authors: Roberts ET, McWilliams JM, Hatfield LA, Gerovich S, Chernew ME, Gilstrap LG, Mehrotra A
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 1