Jackson, Elizabeth A
Allen, Kathleen E
Ostfeld, Robert J
Freeman, Andrew M
Fleisher, Kenneth E
JournalAmerican Journal of Preventive Cardiology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPeriodontal disease (PD) is common in the US and globally. Evidence suggests that poor oral health is associated with atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD); however, this relationship has not been a major focus in clinical cardiology. This manuscript will review the growing evidence linking PD to ASCVD, including pathophysiologic mechanisms and coexistent risk factors. Public health considerations with a focus on disparities, social determinants, preventive strategies, and a call to action to reduce the burden of coincident ASCVD and PD are also reviewed.
Rights/Terms© 2021 The Author(s). Published by Elsevier B.V.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16806
- Unexpected Relationships: Periodontal Diseases: Atherosclerosis-Plaque Destabilization? From the Teeth to a Coronary Event.
- Authors: Czerniuk MR, Surma S, Romańczyk M, Nowak JM, Wojtowicz A, Filipiak KJ
- Issue date: 2022 Feb 9
- Scope and Social Determinants of Food Insecurity Among Adults With Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease in the United States.
- Authors: Mahajan S, Grandhi GR, Valero-Elizondo J, Mszar R, Khera R, Acquah I, Yahya T, Virani SS, Blankstein R, Blaha MJ, Cainzos-Achirica M, Nasir K
- Issue date: 2021 Aug 17
- Primary Prevention of Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease in Women.
- Authors: McKibben RA, Al Rifai M, Mathews LM, Michos ED
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Aspirin for Primary Prevention of Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease: Advances in Diagnosis and Treatment.
- Authors: Mora S, Manson JE
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 1
- European Society of Cardiology Quality Indicators for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention: developed by the Working Group for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Quality Indicators in collaboration with the European Association for Preventive Cardiology of the European Society of Cardiology.
- Authors: Aktaa S, Gencer B, Arbelo E, Davos CH, Désormais I, Hollander M, Abreu A, Ambrosetti M, Bäck M, Carballo D, Crawford C, Deaton C, Dendale P, Eijsvogels TMH, Galbraith M, Piepoli MF, Salzwedel A, Smulders Y, Wilhelm M, Biondi-Zoccai G, Mach F, Visseren FLJ, Gale CP
- Issue date: 2021 Oct 23