Advanced Metrics for Assessing Holistic Care: The "Epidaurus 2" Project
AuthorFoote, Frederick O
Deuster, Patricia A
Lary, David J
Silverman, Marni N
Sternberg, Esther M
JournalGlobal Advances in Health and Medicine
PublisherSAGE Publications Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn response to the challenge of military traumatic brain injury and posttraumatic stress disorder, the US military developed a wide range of holistic care modalities at the new Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, MD, from 2001 to 2017, guided by civilian expert consultation via the Epidaurus Project. These projects spanned a range from healing buildings to wellness initiatives and healing through nature, spirituality, and the arts. The next challenge was to develop whole-body metrics to guide the use of these therapies in clinical care. Under the "Epidaurus 2" Project, a national search produced 5 advanced metrics for measuring whole-body therapeutic effects: genomics, integrated stress biomarkers, language analysis, machine learning, and "Star Glyphs." This article describes the metrics, their current use in guiding holistic care at Walter Reed, and their potential for operationalizing personalized care, patient self-management, and the improvement of public health. Development of these metrics allows the scientific integration of holistic therapies with organ-system-based care, expanding the powers of medicine.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16802
- Holistic Care in the US Military I-The Epidaurus Project: An Initiative in Holistic Medicine for the Military Health System, 2001-2012.
- Authors: Foote FO, Bulger RJ, Frampton SB, Pellegrino ED
- Issue date: 2012 May
- The Epidaurus Project: holism in Department of Defense health facilities.
- Authors: Foote F
- Issue date: 2012 Jan
- Observational study of associations between visual imagery and measures of depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress among active-duty military service members with traumatic brain injury at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.
- Authors: Kaimal G, Walker MS, Herres J, French LM, DeGraba TJ
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 11
- Holism at the National Intrepid Center of Excellence (NICoE).
- Authors: Foote FO, Schwartz L
- Issue date: 2012 Sep-Oct
- Critical care medicine at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in support of the global war on terrorism.
- Authors: Colombo CJ, Mount CA, Popa CA
- Issue date: 2008 Jul