Post-weaning A1/A2 β-casein milk intake modulates depressive-like behavior, brain μ-opioid receptors, and the metabolome of rats
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe postnatal period is critical for brain and behavioral development and is sensitive to environmental stimuli, such as nutrition. Prevention of weaning from maternal milk was previously shown to cause depressive-like behavior in rats. Additionally, loss of dietary casein was found to act as a developmental trigger for a population of brain opioid receptors. Here, we explore the effect of exposure to milk containing A1 and A2 β-casein beyond weaning. A1 but not A2 β-casein milk significantly increased stress-induced immobility in rats, concomitant with an increased abundance of Clostridium histolyticum bacterial group in the caecum and colon of A1 β-casein fed animals, brain region-specific alterations of μ-opioid and oxytocin receptors, and modifications in urinary biochemical profiles. Moreover, urinary gut microbial metabolites strongly correlated with altered brain metabolites. These findings suggest that consumption of milk containing A1 β-casein beyond weaning age may affect mood via a possible gut-brain axis mechanism.
Rights/Terms© 2021 The Authors.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16764
- Maternal Weaning Modulates Emotional Behavior and Regulates the Gut-Brain Axis.
- Authors: Farshim P, Walton G, Chakrabarti B, Givens I, Saddy D, Kitchen I, R Swann J, Bailey A
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 23
- Dietary A1 β-casein affects gastrointestinal transit time, dipeptidyl peptidase-4 activity, and inflammatory status relative to A2 β-casein in Wistar rats.
- Authors: Barnett MP, McNabb WC, Roy NC, Woodford KB, Clarke AJ
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Milk Intolerance, Beta-Casein and Lactose.
- Authors: Pal S, Woodford K, Kukuljan S, Ho S
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 31
- Effects of cow's milk beta-casein variants on symptoms of milk intolerance in Chinese adults: a multicentre, randomised controlled study.
- Authors: He M, Sun J, Jiang ZQ, Yang YX
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 25
- A casein variant in cow's milk is atherogenic.
- Authors: Tailford KA, Berry CL, Thomas AC, Campbell JH
- Issue date: 2003 Sep