From Requisite to Right: Assessing and Addressing Paid Maternity Leave in US Psychiatry Residency Programs
AbstractObjective: Data on the physical and mental health benefits of paid maternity leave for mothers and infants is abundant. Data on the make-up of current maternity leave policies in US psychiatry residency programs is not. This survey of program directors was undertaken to assess the components of their program's policies and the perceived impact of maternity leave on the training of childbearing residents, co-residents, and programs. Methods: An anonymous 19-question survey was emailed to US psychiatric residency program directors. Questions assessed demographics for respondents and their programs, composition of maternity leave including paid and unpaid components, and the perception of effects of maternity leave on childbearing residents, co-residents, and programs (with optional free-text elaboration). Results: The response rate was 19.5% (49 out of 262 program directors). Many programs require the use of FMLA (81%), vacation days (75%), sick days (75%), and short-term disability (30%) for maternity leave. Around a third (34%) offer separate paid time off varying from 2 to 12 weeks at 80-100% of pay. Most respondents relate a neutral to strongly positive impact of leave on the psychiatric training of childbearing residents (98%) and co-residents (84%), citing benefits like improved empathy, compassion, and patience. Conclusions: Maternity leave is seen to have minimal negative impact on training received within psychiatry residency programs. A minority of residents have access to paid maternity leave policies that would best support their health and career trajectories.
Rights/Terms© 2021. Academic Psychiatry.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16756
- Are Psychiatry Programs Providing Adequate Parental Leave to Their Residents?
- Authors: Leandre FM, Sudak DM, Ginory A
- Issue date: 2022 Apr
- What Provisions Do Orthopaedic Programs Make for Maternity, Paternity, and Adoption Leave?
- Authors: Weiss J, Teuscher D
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- What Proportion of Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Programs Have Accessible Parental Leave Policies, and How Generous are They?
- Authors: Siljander BR, Van Nortwick SS, Flakne JC, Van Heest AE, Bohn DC
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- Pregnancy and parental leave among obstetrics and gynecology residents: results of a nationwide survey of program directors.
- Authors: Hariton E, Matthews B, Burns A, Akileswaran C, Berkowitz LR
- Issue date: 2018 Aug
- Perspectives of US General Surgery Program Directors on Cultural and Fiscal Barriers to Maternity Leave and Postpartum Support During Surgical Training.
- Authors: Castillo-Angeles M, Smink DS, Rangel EL
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 1