Pharmacological or genetic inhibition of hypoxia signaling attenuates oncogenic RAS-induced cancer phenotypes
JournalDisease Models & Mechanisms
PublisherCompany of Biologists Ltd.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOncogenic Ras mutations are highly prevalent in hematopoietic malignancies. However, it is difficult to directly target oncogenic RAS proteins for therapeutic intervention. We have developed a Drosophila Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) model induced by human KRASG12V, which exhibits a dramatic increase in myeloid-like leukemia cells. We performed both genetic and drug screens using this model. The genetic screen identified 24 candidate genes able to attenuate the oncogenic RAS-induced phenotype, including two key hypoxia pathway genes HIF1A and ARNT (HIF1B). The drug screen revealed echinomycin, an inhibitor of HIF1A, could effectively attenuate the leukemia phenotype caused by KRASG12V. Furthermore, we showed that echinomycin treatment could effectively suppress oncogenic RAS-driven leukemia cell proliferation using both human leukemia cell lines and a mouse xenograft model. These data suggest that inhibiting the hypoxia pathway could be an effective treatment approach for oncogenic RAS-induced cancer phenotype, and that echinomycin is a promising targeted drug to attenuate oncogenic RAS-induced cancer phenotypes.
Rights/Terms© 2021. Published by The Company of Biologists Ltd.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16755
- HIF-1α inhibitor echinomycin reduces acute graft-versus-host disease and preserves graft-versus-leukemia effect.
- Authors: Yao Y, Wang L, Zhou J, Zhang X
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 10
- Therapeutic targeting of TP53-mutated acute myeloid leukemia by inhibiting HIF-1α with echinomycin.
- Authors: Wang Y, Liu Y, Bailey C, Zhang H, He M, Sun D, Zhang P, Parkin B, Baer MR, Zheng P, Malek SN, Liu Y
- Issue date: 2020 Apr
- The HIF1α-PDGFD-PDGFRα axis controls glioblastoma growth at normoxia/mild-hypoxia and confers sensitivity to targeted therapy by echinomycin.
- Authors: Peng G, Wang Y, Ge P, Bailey C, Zhang P, Zhang D, Meng Z, Qi C, Chen Q, Chen J, Niu J, Zheng P, Liu Y, Liu Y
- Issue date: 2021 Sep 1
- Oncogenic K-ras in mouse models of myeloproliferative disease and acute myeloid leukemia.
- Authors: Chan IT, Gilliland DG
- Issue date: 2004 May
- Echinomycin protects mice against relapsed acute myeloid leukemia without adverse effect on hematopoietic stem cells.
- Authors: Wang Y, Liu Y, Tang F, Bernot KM, Schore R, Marcucci G, Caligiuri MA, Zheng P, Liu Y
- Issue date: 2014 Aug 14