Pharmacological or genetic inhibition of hypoxia signaling attenuates oncogenic RAS-induced cancer phenotypes
JournalDisease Models & Mechanisms
PublisherCompany of Biologists Ltd.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOncogenic Ras mutations are highly prevalent in hematopoietic malignancies. However, it is difficult to directly target oncogenic RAS proteins for therapeutic intervention. We have developed a Drosophila Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) model induced by human KRASG12V, which exhibits a dramatic increase in myeloid-like leukemia cells. We performed both genetic and drug screens using this model. The genetic screen identified 24 candidate genes able to attenuate the oncogenic RAS-induced phenotype, including two key hypoxia pathway genes HIF1A and ARNT (HIF1B). The drug screen revealed echinomycin, an inhibitor of HIF1A, could effectively attenuate the leukemia phenotype caused by KRASG12V. Furthermore, we showed that echinomycin treatment could effectively suppress oncogenic RAS-driven leukemia cell proliferation using both human leukemia cell lines and a mouse xenograft model. These data suggest that inhibiting the hypoxia pathway could be an effective treatment approach for oncogenic RAS-induced cancer phenotype, and that echinomycin is a promising targeted drug to attenuate oncogenic RAS-induced cancer phenotypes.
Rights/Terms© 2021. Published by The Company of Biologists Ltd.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16755
- Oncogenic K-ras in mouse models of myeloproliferative disease and acute myeloid leukemia.
- Authors: Chan IT, Gilliland DG
- Issue date: 2004 May
- Loss of Dnmt3a and endogenous Kras(G12D/+) cooperate to regulate hematopoietic stem and progenitor cell functions in leukemogenesis.
- Authors: Chang YI, You X, Kong G, Ranheim EA, Wang J, Du J, Liu Y, Zhou Y, Ryu MJ, Zhang J
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Therapeutic targeting of TP53-mutated acute myeloid leukemia by inhibiting HIF-1α with echinomycin.
- Authors: Wang Y, Liu Y, Bailey C, Zhang H, He M, Sun D, Zhang P, Parkin B, Baer MR, Zheng P, Malek SN, Liu Y
- Issue date: 2020 Apr
- Hematopoiesis and RAS-driven myeloid leukemia differentially require PI3K isoform p110α.
- Authors: Gritsman K, Yuzugullu H, Von T, Yan H, Clayton L, Fritsch C, Maira SM, Hollingworth G, Choi C, Khandan T, Paktinat M, Okabe RO, Roberts TM, Zhao JJ
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- Ras oncogene-independent activation of RALB signaling is a targetable mechanism of escape from NRAS(V12) oncogene addiction in acute myeloid leukemia.
- Authors: Pomeroy EJ, Lee LA, Lee RDW, Schirm DK, Temiz NA, Ma J, Gruber TA, Diaz-Flores E, Moriarity BS, Downing JR, Shannon KM, Largaespada DA, Eckfeldt CE
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 8