Addressing and Inspiring Vaccine Confidence in Black, Indigenous, and People of Color During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 Pandemic
AuthorMarcelin, Jasmine R
Swartz, Talia H
da Costa, Christopher
McGee, Edoabasi U
Piggott, Damani A
Abdul-Mutakabbir, Jacinda C
JournalOpen Forum Infectious Diseases
PublisherOxford University Press
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDuring the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, we have witnessed profound health inequities suffered by Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC). These manifested as differential access to testing early in the pandemic, rates of severe disease and death 2-3 times higher than white Americans, and, now, significantly lower vaccine uptake compared with their share of the population affected by COVID-19. This article explores the impact of these COVID-19 inequities (and the underlying cause, structural racism) on vaccine acceptance in BIPOC populations, ways to establish trustworthiness of healthcare institutions, increase vaccine access for BIPOC communities, and inspire confidence in COVID-19 vaccines.
Rights/Terms© The Author(s) 2021. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of Infectious Diseases Society of America.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16754
- Commentary: Reflections on the COVID-19 Pandemic and Health Disparities in Pediatric Psychology.
- Authors: Valenzuela J, Crosby LE, Harrison RR
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 1
- Increasing Black, Indigenous and People of Color participation in clinical trials through community engagement and recruitment goal establishment.
- Authors: Andrasik MP, Broder GB, Wallace SE, Chaturvedi R, Michael NL, Bock S, Beyrer C, Oseso L, Aina J, Lucas J, Wilson DR, Kublin JG, Mensah GA
- Issue date: 2021
- COVID-19 Impacts on Families of Color and Families of Children With Asthma.
- Authors: Clawson AH, Nwankwo CN, Blair AL, Pepper-Davis M, Ruppe NM, Cole AB
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 16
- Applying Cultural Intelligence to Improve Vaccine Hesitancy Among Black, Indigenous, and People of Color.
- Authors: Richard-Eaglin A, McFarland ML
- Issue date: 2022 Sep
- Addressing racial/ethnic inequities in vaccine hesitancy and uptake: lessons learned from the California alliance against COVID-19.
- Authors: AuYoung M, Rodriguez Espinosa P, Chen WT, Juturu P, Young MT, Casillas A, Adkins-Jackson P, Hopfer S, Kissam E, Alo AK, Vargas RA, Brown AF, And the STOP COVID-19 C. A. Communications Working Group
- Issue date: 2022 Jan 22