Addressing and Inspiring Vaccine Confidence in Black, Indigenous, and People of Color During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 Pandemic
AuthorMarcelin, Jasmine R
Swartz, Talia H
da Costa, Christopher
McGee, Edoabasi U
Piggott, Damani A
Abdul-Mutakabbir, Jacinda C
JournalOpen Forum Infectious Diseases
PublisherOxford University Press
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDuring the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, we have witnessed profound health inequities suffered by Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC). These manifested as differential access to testing early in the pandemic, rates of severe disease and death 2-3 times higher than white Americans, and, now, significantly lower vaccine uptake compared with their share of the population affected by COVID-19. This article explores the impact of these COVID-19 inequities (and the underlying cause, structural racism) on vaccine acceptance in BIPOC populations, ways to establish trustworthiness of healthcare institutions, increase vaccine access for BIPOC communities, and inspire confidence in COVID-19 vaccines.
Rights/Terms© The Author(s) 2021. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of Infectious Diseases Society of America.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16754
- Commentary: Reflections on the COVID-19 Pandemic and Health Disparities in Pediatric Psychology.
- Authors: Valenzuela J, Crosby LE, Harrison RR
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 1
- COVID-19 Impacts on Families of Color and Families of Children With Asthma.
- Authors: Clawson AH, Nwankwo CN, Blair AL, Pepper-Davis M, Ruppe NM, Cole AB
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 16
- Building bridges and capacity for Black, Indigenous, and scholars of color in the era of COVID-19 and Black Lives Matter.
- Authors: Crooks N, Smith A, Lofton S
- Issue date: 2021 Jun 3
- Advancing Antiracism in Community-Based Research Practices in Early Childhood and Family Mental Health.
- Authors: Lane A Jr, Gavins A, Watson A, Domitrovich CE, Oruh CM, Morris C, Boogaard C, Sherwood C, Sharp DN, Charlot-Swilley D, Coates EE, Mathis E, Avent G, Robertson H, Le HN, Williams JC, Hawkins J, Patterson J, Ouyang JX, Hartz KA, Beers LS, Cole L, Biel MG, Bodrick NI, Bravo N, Baylor RS, Arbit R, Zuskov SF, Hoffman SB, McPherson SKL, Singh S, Greer SE, Banks-Mackey SN, Caleb S, Thomas S, Brent T, Spencer T
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 22
- Diverse values, philosophies and ideas beget innovation and resilience in ecology and for our world.
- Authors: Morrison DL, Steltzer H
- Issue date: 2021 Sep