Opportunities and Challenges in North-South and South-South Global Health Collaborations During the COVID-19 Pandemic: The AFREhealth-CUGH Experience (as Reported at the CUGH 2021 Satellite Meeting)
Sam-Agudu, Nadia A
Wasserheit, Judith N
Kilmarx, Peter H
Nachega, Jean B
JournalAnnals of Global Health
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSustainable and equitable partnerships and collaborations between the Global North and Global South (as well as within the Global South) have been aspirations (if seldom achieved) of the "global health" endeavor over the past couple of decades. The COVID-19 pandemic led to global lockdowns that disrupted international travel and severely challenged these partnerships, providing a critical space for self-reflection on global health as a discipline. One major global north-south partnership is that between the African Forum for Research and Education in Health (AFREhealth) and the Consortium of Universities for Global Health (CUGH). This article reports on a recent Satellite meeting of the AFREhealth-CUGH Working Group (ACWG) at the CUGH 2021 virtual conference in March 2021 that provided insights on North-South and South-South global health partnerships, against the backdrop of the COVID-19 pandemic. The authors describe challenges and opportunities for research and education in these partnerships (as discussed at this ACWG Satellite meeting), and implications for the field of global health going forward as we emerge from the pandemic.
Rights/TermsCopyright: © 2021 The Author(s).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16741
- The Medical Education Partnership Initiative (MEPI): Innovations and Lessons for Health Professions Training and Research in Africa.
- Authors: Omaswa F, Kiguli-Malwadde E, Donkor P, Hakim J, Derbew M, Baird S, Frehywot S, Gachuno OW, Kamiza S, Kibwage IO, Mteta Kien A, Mulla Y, Mullan F, Nachega JB, Nkomazana O, Noormohamed E, Ojoome V, Olalaye D, Pillay S, Sewankambo NK, De Villiers M
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 30
- Linkage of the Medical Education Partnership Initiative (MEPI) and the Nursing Education Partnership Initiative (NEPI) to the African Forum for Research and Education in Health (AFREhealth).
- Authors: Sewankambo NK, Donkor P
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 30
- Maintaining a global health partnership during the COVID-19 pandemic: a road map from the Toronto Addis Ababa Academic Collaboration in Emergency Medicine.
- Authors: Bryan JM, Beyene T, Kebede S, Kaufman A, Jiru T, Maskalyk J, Landes M, McKnight A, Fremes E, Cheung E, Toronto Addis Ababa Academic Collaboration in Emergency Medicine.
- Issue date: 2021 Mar
- Global health research partnerships in the context of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Authors: Addo-Atuah J, Senhaji-Tomza B, Ray D, Basu P, Loh FE, Owusu-Daaku F
- Issue date: 2020 Nov
- Protecting health workers from infectious disease transmission: an exploration of a Canadian-South African partnership of partnerships.
- Authors: Yassi A, Zungu M, Spiegel JM, Kistnasamy B, Lockhart K, Jones D, O'Hara LM, Nophale L, Bryce EA, Darwin L
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 31