Improving the Remediation Process for Skills-based Laboratory Courses in the Doctor of Pharmacy Curriculum
AuthorChen, Jennifer S
Matthews, David E
Van Hooser, Jared
Knockel, Laura E
Woodyard, Jamie L
JournalAmerican Journal of Pharmaceutical Education
PublisherAmerican Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWhen students fail to meet minimum competence standards on summative pharmacy skills-based assessments, remediation can be used to ensure student readiness for progression. Skills-basedrem ediation is challenging as a high volume of resources is required to develop an action plan that addresses the heterogeneity in student needs and to create and execute another assessment equivalent to the initial assessment. Although many Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) programs face these same challenges, there is no consensus on how to best address them. Recently, faculty from six PharmD programs convened to share ideas and approaches to overcoming these challenges. This commentary aims to define remediation as it pertains to summative skills-based assessments, share our consensus views regarding remediation best practices, and highlight areas where there is more work to be done. Our intent is to advance the ongoing conversation and empower institutions to develop their own effective and impactful skills-based remediation policies, procedures, and activities.
Rights/Terms© 2021 American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16724
- Suicidal Ideation
- Authors: Harmer B, Lee S, Duong TvH, Saadabadi A
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- Suggested pharmacy practice laboratory activities to align with pre-APPE domains in the Doctor of Pharmacy curriculum.
- Authors: Bellottie GD, Kirwin J, Allen RA, Anksorus HN, Bartelme KM, Bottenberg MM, Dula CC, Kane TH, Lee PH, McMillan A, Riley BL, Waghel R
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Staging a reflective capstone course to transition PharmD graduates to professional life.
- Authors: Hobson EH, Johnston PE, Spinelli AJ
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 17
- Mapping and assessment of personal and professional development skills in a pharmacy curriculum.
- Authors: Ramia E, Salameh P, Btaiche IF, Saad AH
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 15
- Report of the 2018-2019 Research and Graduate Affairs Committee.
- Authors: O'Donnell JM, Anand S, Brown SD, Fuji KT, Guy RK, Kawaguchi-Suzuki M, Meier KE, Nelson CE, Vyas A, Block KF, Farrell DF
- Issue date: 2019 Dec