Improving the Remediation Process for Skills-based Laboratory Courses in the Doctor of Pharmacy Curriculum
AuthorChen, Jennifer S
Matthews, David E
Van Hooser, Jared
Knockel, Laura E
Woodyard, Jamie L
JournalAmerican Journal of Pharmaceutical Education
PublisherAmerican Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWhen students fail to meet minimum competence standards on summative pharmacy skills-based assessments, remediation can be used to ensure student readiness for progression. Skills-basedrem ediation is challenging as a high volume of resources is required to develop an action plan that addresses the heterogeneity in student needs and to create and execute another assessment equivalent to the initial assessment. Although many Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) programs face these same challenges, there is no consensus on how to best address them. Recently, faculty from six PharmD programs convened to share ideas and approaches to overcoming these challenges. This commentary aims to define remediation as it pertains to summative skills-based assessments, share our consensus views regarding remediation best practices, and highlight areas where there is more work to be done. Our intent is to advance the ongoing conversation and empower institutions to develop their own effective and impactful skills-based remediation policies, procedures, and activities.
Rights/Terms© 2021 American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16724
- Addressing the Challenges of Providing Accommodations for Pharmacy Students With Disabilities Across Learning Environments.
- Authors: Volino LR, Allen SM, Gallimore CE
- Issue date: 2021 Aug
- Utilizing desirable difficulties for sterile compounding training in a skills-based laboratory course.
- Authors: Diehl B, Dy-Boarman EA, Bottenberg MM, Mobley-Bukstein W
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- An Opportunity to Integrate Cultural Sensitivity Training Into the Doctor of Pharmacy Curriculum.
- Authors: Haas-Gehres A, Portillo E, Kachlic MD, Siu A
- Issue date: 2021 Aug
- A Modified Delphi Involving Laboratory Faculty to Define Essential Skills for Pharmacy Graduates.
- Authors: Frenzel JE, Nuziale BT, Bradley CL, Ballou JM, Begley K, Donohoe KL, Riley BL
- Issue date: 2021 Feb
- Evaluating a Skills Laboratory Curriculum to Determine the Essential Skills for Pharmacy Students to Learn.
- Authors: Porter AL, McKeirnan KC, Bottenberg MM
- Issue date: 2022 Aug