A Brief History of AI: How to Prevent Another Winter (A Critical Review)
MetadataShow full item record
DescriptionThe field of artificial intelligence (AI), regarded as one of the most enigmatic areas of science, has witnessed exponential growth in the past decade including a remarkably wide array of applications, having already impacted our everyday lives. Advances in computing power and the design of sophisticated AI algorithms have enabled computers to outperform humans in a variety of tasks, especially in the areas of computer vision and speech recognition. Yet, AI's path has never been smooth, having essentially fallen apart twice in its lifetime ('winters' of AI), both after periods of popular success ('summers' of AI). We provide a brief rundown of AI's evolution over the course of decades, highlighting its crucial moments and major turning points from inception to the present. In doing so, we attempt to learn, anticipate the future, and discuss what steps may be taken to prevent another 'winter'.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16706
- Artificial intelligence (AI) in medicine as a strategic valuable tool.
- Authors: Larentzakis A, Lygeros N
- Issue date: 2021
- Artificial intelligence in reproductive medicine.
- Authors: Wang R, Pan W, Jin L, Li Y, Geng Y, Gao C, Chen G, Wang H, Ma D, Liao S
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- Applications of artificial intelligence in pancreatic and biliary diseases.
- Authors: Chen PT, Chang D, Wu T, Wu MS, Wang W, Liao WC
- Issue date: 2021 Feb
- Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, and Cognitive Computing: What Do These Terms Mean and How Will They Impact Health Care?
- Authors: Bini SA
- Issue date: 2018 Aug
- Artificial intelligence in cardiovascular CT: Current status and future implications.
- Authors: Lin A, Kolossváry M, Motwani M, Išgum I, Maurovich-Horvat P, Slomka PJ, Dey D
- Issue date: 2021 Nov-Dec