Roadmap Consensus on Carotid Artery Plaque Imaging and Impact on Therapy Strategies and Guidelines: An International, Multispecialty, Expert Review and Position Statement
Spence, J D
Borst, G J D
Lal, B K
Lugt, A V D
Wasserman, B A
Kooi, M E
DeMarco, J K
Goethem, J V
Brown, M M
Moody, A R
JournalAJNR. American Journal of Neuroradiology
PublisherAmerican Society of Neuroradiology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCurrent guidelines for primary and secondary prevention of stroke in patients with carotid atherosclerosis are based on the quantification of the degree of stenosis and symptom status. Recent publications have demonstrated that plaque morphology and composition, independent of the degree of stenosis, are important in the risk stratification of carotid atherosclerotic disease. This finding raises the question as to whether current guidelines are adequate or if they should be updated with new evidence, including imaging for plaque phenotyping, risk stratification, and clinical decision-making in addition to the degree of stenosis. To further this discussion, this roadmap consensus article defines the limits of luminal imaging and highlights the current evidence supporting the role of plaque imaging. Furthermore, we identify gaps in current knowledge and suggest steps to generate high-quality evidence, to add relevant information to guidelines currently based on the quantification of stenosis. © 2021 American Society of Neuroradiology. All rights reserved.
Rights/Terms© 2021 by American Journal of Neuroradiology.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16676
- Carotid Atherosclerotic Plaque Characteristics on Magnetic Resonance Imaging Relate With History of Stroke and Coronary Heart Disease.
- Authors: Selwaness M, Bos D, van den Bouwhuijsen Q, Portegies ML, Ikram MA, Hofman A, Franco OH, van der Lugt A, Wentzel JJ, Vernooij MW
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Ultrasound Characteristics of Symptomatic Carotid Plaques: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
- Authors: Brinjikji W, Rabinstein AA, Lanzino G, Murad MH, Williamson EE, DeMarco JK, Huston J 3rd
- Issue date: 2015
- Contemporary carotid imaging: from degree of stenosis to plaque vulnerability.
- Authors: Brinjikji W, Huston J 3rd, Rabinstein AA, Kim GM, Lerman A, Lanzino G
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Carotid plaque characterisation by IVUS-VH during carotid stenting: the "eyes wide shut" between plaque morphology and symptoms.
- Authors: Politi L, Aprile A, Rollini F, Amato A, Biondi-Zoccai G, Mauriello A, Modena MG, Sangiorgi GM
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- Computational modeling of atherosclerotic plaque progression in carotid lesions with moderate degree of stenosis<sup/>.
- Authors: Mantzaris MD, Siogkas PK, Tsakanikas VD, Potsika VT, Pleouras DS, Sakellarios AI, Karagiannis G, Galyfos G, Sigala F, Liasis N, Jovanovic M, Koncar IB, Kallmayer M, Fotiadis DI
- Issue date: 2021 Nov