Behavioral, Anatomical and Heritable Convergence of Affect and Cognition in Superior Frontal Cortex
Schaare, H Lina
Eickhoff, Simon B
Yeo, B T Thomas
Kharabian Masouleh, Shahrzad
Valk, Sofie L
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCognitive abilities and affective experience are key human traits that are interrelated in behavior and brain. Individual variation of cognitive and affective traits, as well as brain structure, has been shown to partly underlie genetic effects. However, to what extent affect and cognition have a shared genetic relationship with local brain structure is incompletely understood. Here we studied phenotypic and genetic correlations of cognitive and affective traits in behavior and brain structure (cortical thickness, surface area and subcortical volumes) in the pedigree-based Human Connectome Project sample (N = 1091). Both cognitive and affective trait scores were highly heritable and showed significant phenotypic correlation on the behavioral level. Cortical thickness in the left superior frontal cortex showed a phenotypic association with both affect and cognition. Decomposing the phenotypic correlations into genetic and environmental components showed that the associations were accounted for by shared genetic effects between the traits. Quantitative functional decoding of the left superior frontal cortex further indicated that this region is associated with cognitive and emotional functioning. This study provides a multi-level approach to study the association between affect and cognition and suggests a convergence of both in superior frontal cortical thickness. © 2021
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021. Published by Elsevier Inc.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16671
- Personality and local brain structure: Their shared genetic basis and reproducibility.
- Authors: Valk SL, Hoffstaedter F, Camilleri JA, Kochunov P, Yeo BTT, Eickhoff SB
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 15
- Discovering the shared biology of cognitive traits determined by genetic overlap.
- Authors: Guimaraes JPOFT, Bralten J, Greven CU, Franke B, Sprooten E, Beckmann CF
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- Neurobehavioral correlates of obesity are largely heritable.
- Authors: Vainik U, Baker TE, Dadar M, Zeighami Y, Michaud A, Zhang Y, García Alanis JC, Misic B, Collins DL, Dagher A
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 11
- Personality traits and negative affect mediate the relationship between cortical thickness of superior frontal cortex and aggressive behavior.
- Authors: Zhu X, Wang K, Cao A, Zhang Y, Qiu J
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 23
- Association of Copy Number Variation of the 15q11.2 BP1-BP2 Region With Cortical and Subcortical Morphology and Cognition.
- Authors: Writing Committee for the ENIGMA-CNV Working Group., van der Meer D, Sønderby IE, Kaufmann T, Walters GB, Abdellaoui A, Ames D, Amunts K, Andersson M, Armstrong NJ, Bernard M, Blackburn NB, Blangero J, Boomsma DI, Brodaty H, Brouwer RM, Bülow R, Cahn W, Calhoun VD, Caspers S, Cavalleri GL, Ching CRK, Cichon S, Ciufolini S, Corvin A, Crespo-Facorro B, Curran JE, Dalvie S, Dazzan P, de Geus EJC, de Zubicaray GI, de Zwarte SMC, Delanty N, den Braber A, Desrivieres S, Di Forti M, Doherty JL, Donohoe G, Ehrlich S, Eising E, Espeseth T, Fisher SE, Fladby T, Frei O, Frouin V, Fukunaga M, Gareau T, Glahn DC, Grabe HJ, Groenewold NA, Gústafsson Ó, Haavik J, Haberg AK, Hashimoto R, Hehir-Kwa JY, Hibar DP, Hillegers MHJ, Hoffmann P, Holleran L, Hottenga JJ, Hulshoff Pol HE, Ikeda M, Jacquemont S, Jahanshad N, Jockwitz C, Johansson S, Jönsson EG, Kikuchi M, Knowles EEM, Kwok JB, Le Hellard S, Linden DEJ, Liu J, Lundervold A, Lundervold AJ, Martin NG, Mather KA, Mathias SR, McMahon KL, McRae AF, Medland SE, Moberget T, Moreau C, Morris DW, Mühleisen TW, Murray RM, Nordvik JE, Nyberg L, Olde Loohuis LM, Ophoff RA, Owen MJ, Paus T, Pausova Z, Peralta JM, Pike B, Prieto C, Quinlan EB, Reinbold CS, Reis Marques T, Rucker JJH, Sachdev PS, Sando SB, Schofield PR, Schork AJ, Schumann G, Shin J, Shumskaya E, Silva AI, Sisodiya SM, Steen VM, Stein DJ, Strike LT, Tamnes CK, Teumer A, Thalamuthu A, Tordesillas-Gutiérrez D, Uhlmann A, Úlfarsson MÖ, van 't Ent D, van den Bree MBM, Vassos E, Wen W, Wittfeld K, Wright MJ, Zayats T, Dale AM, Djurovic S, Agartz I, Westlye LT, Stefánsson H, Stefánsson K, Thompson PM, Andreassen OA
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 1