Comparison of Experiences in Two Birth Cohorts Comprising Young Families with Children under Four Years during the Initial COVID-19 Lockdown in Australia and the UK: A Qualitative Study
AuthorGibson, Lisa Y
McEachan, Rosemary R C
Pickett, Kate E
Bear, Natasha L
Silva, Desiree T
Prescott, Susan L
Davis, Jacqueline A
JournalInternational Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis study aims to understand the experience and impact of the initial COVID-19 lock-down in young families with children aged below 4 years. Free text questions were administered to participants in the ORIGINS (Australia) and Born in Bradford (UK) cohort studies to collect qualitative information on worries, concerns and enjoyable experiences during the pandemic. A total of 903 (400 for ORIGINS and 503 for BiB) participants completed the two surveys during April 2020. Despite varying in geography, levels of socio-economic disadvantage and their situational context during the pandemic, respondents from both cohorts reported similar worries and challenges during the lockdown period, including: employment/finances, health anxiety, mental health and social isolation, caring for children and child development. Families across the globe experienced both positive and negative immediate impacts of COVID-19. Population-based data can be used to in-form the development of support services, public health campaigns and universal interventions to assist families in future health crises. © 2021 by the authors.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16644
- Experiences, Attitudes, and Needs of Users of a Pregnancy and Parenting App (Baby Buddy) During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Mixed Methods Study.
- Authors: Rhodes A, Kheireddine S, Smith AD
- Issue date: 2020 Dec 9
- Public perceptions and experiences of social distancing and social isolation during the COVID-19 pandemic: a UK-based focus group study.
- Authors: Williams SN, Armitage CJ, Tampe T, Dienes K
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 20
- Mental health in the pandemic: a repeated cross-sectional mixed-method study protocol to investigate the mental health impacts of the coronavirus pandemic in the UK.
- Authors: Van Bortel T, John A, Solomon S, Lombardo C, Crepaz-Keay D, McDaid S, Yap J, Weeks L, Martin S, Guo L, Seymour C, Thorpe L, Morton AD, Davidson G, Kousoulis AA
- Issue date: 2021 Aug 27
- COVID-19 and children with cancer: Parents' experiences, anxieties and support needs.
- Authors: Darlington AE, Morgan JE, Wagland R, Sodergren SC, Culliford D, Gamble A, Phillips B
- Issue date: 2021 Feb
- COVID-19: experiences of lockdown and support needs in children and young adults with kidney conditions.
- Authors: Tse Y, Darlington AE, Tyerman K, Wallace D, Pankhurst T, Chantziara S, Culliford D, Recio-Saucedo A, Nagra A
- Issue date: 2021 Sep