Adipose tissue-derived neurotrophic factor 3 regulates sympathetic innervation and thermogenesis in adipose tissue
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractActivation of brown fat thermogenesis increases energy expenditure and alleviates obesity. Sympathetic nervous system (SNS) is important in brown/beige adipocyte thermogenesis. Here we discover a fat-derived "adipokine" neurotrophic factor neurotrophin 3 (NT-3) and its receptor Tropomyosin receptor kinase C (TRKC) as key regulators of SNS growth and innervation in adipose tissue. NT-3 is highly expressed in brown/beige adipocytes, and potently stimulates sympathetic neuron neurite growth. NT-3/TRKC regulates a plethora of pathways in neuronal axonal growth and elongation. Adipose tissue sympathetic innervation is significantly increased in mice with adipocyte-specific NT-3 overexpression, but profoundly reduced in mice with TRKC haploinsufficiency (TRKC +/-). Increasing NT-3 via pharmacological or genetic approach promotes beige adipocyte development, enhances cold-induced thermogenesis and protects against diet-induced obesity (DIO); whereas TRKC + /- or SNS TRKC deficient mice are cold intolerant and prone to DIO. Thus, NT-3 is a fat-derived neurotrophic factor that regulates SNS innervation, energy metabolism and obesity.
Rights/Terms© 2021. The Author(s).
Keywordneurotrophic factor neurotrophin 3
Nerve Growth Factors
Sympathetic Nervous System
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16614
- Sympathetic nerve innervation is required for beigeing in white fat.
- Authors: Cao Q, Jing J, Cui X, Shi H, Xue B
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Neuronal modulation of brown adipose activity through perturbation of white adipocyte lipogenesis.
- Authors: Guilherme A, Pedersen DJ, Henriques F, Bedard AH, Henchey E, Kelly M, Morgan DA, Rahmouni K, Czech MP
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- Resveratrol supplementation of high-fat diet-fed pregnant mice promotes brown and beige adipocyte development and prevents obesity in male offspring.
- Authors: Zou T, Chen D, Yang Q, Wang B, Zhu MJ, Nathanielsz PW, Du M
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 1
- <i>Panax notoginseng</i> saponins modulate the gut microbiota to promote thermogenesis and beige adipocyte reconstruction <i>via</i> leptin-mediated AMPKα/STAT3 signaling in diet-induced obesity.
- Authors: Xu Y, Wang N, Tan HY, Li S, Zhang C, Zhang Z, Feng Y
- Issue date: 2020
- Leptin receptor-expressing neuron Sh2b1 supports sympathetic nervous system and protects against obesity and metabolic disease.
- Authors: Jiang L, Su H, Wu X, Shen H, Kim MH, Li Y, Myers MG Jr, Owyang C, Rui L
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 23