Brief Report: Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Asian American Families with Children with Developmental Disabilities
JournalJournal of Developmental and Physical Disabilities
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDiscrimination against Asians and Asian Americans increased during the COVID-19 pandemic. Yet, even prior to the pandemic, little research explored the experiences of Asian American families of children with autism and other developmental disabilities. This brief report summarizes the results of a survey conducted between May and July 2020, in the immediate aftermath of state and local lockdowns due to the pandemic. Twenty-five Asian American caregivers of children with autism and other developmental disabilities completed the survey and reported on the pandemic's impact on their household. Most of the caregivers were mothers, immigrants, Chinese, raising children with autism, and highly educated. Participants' primary concerns were the disruption of their children's educational and therapeutic services. We discuss research limitations and implications.
Rights/Terms© The Author(s), under exclusive licence to Springer Science+Business Media, LLC, part of Springer Nature 2021.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16611
- Examining the impact of COVID-19 in ethnically diverse families with young children with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Authors: Neece C, McIntyre LL, Fenning R
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Exploring the Role of Media Sources on COVID-19-Related Discrimination Experiences and Concerns Among Asian People in the United States: Cross-Sectional Survey Study.
- Authors: Yu N, Pan S, Yang CC, Tsai JY
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 6
- Psychological distress and burden among family caregivers of children with and without developmental disabilities six months into the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Authors: Iovino EA, Caemmerer J, Chafouleas SM
- Issue date: 2021 Jul
- Comparing the initial impact of COVID-19 on burden and psychological distress among family caregivers of children with and without developmental disabilities.
- Authors: Chafouleas SM, Iovino EA
- Issue date: 2021 Sep