Fab and Fc contribute to maximal protection against SARS-CoV-2 following NVX-CoV2373 subunit vaccine with Matrix-M™ vaccination
AuthorGorman, Matthew J
Zhu, Alex L
Pullen, Krista M
Bowman, Kathryn A
McGrath, Marisa E
Frieman, Matthew B
Saphire, Erica Ollmann
Greene, Ann M
Portnoff, Alyse D
Massare, Michael J
JournalCell Reports. Medicine
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRecently approved vaccines have shown remarkable efficacy in limiting SARS-CoV-2 associated disease. However, with the variety of vaccines, immunization strategies, and waning antibody titers, defining correlates of immunity across a spectrum of antibody titers is urgently required. Thus, we profiled the humoral immune response in a cohort of non-human primates immunized with a recombinant SARS-CoV-2 spike glycoprotein (NVX-CoV2373) at two doses, administered as a single or two-dose regimen. Both antigen dose and boosting significantly altered neutralization titers and Fc-effector profiles, driving unique vaccine-induced antibody fingerprints Combined differences in antibody effector functions and neutralization were associated with distinct levels of protection in the upper and lower respiratory tract. Moreover, NVX-CoV2373 elicited antibodies that functionally targeted emerging SARS-CoV-2 variants. Collectively, the data presented here suggest that a single dose may prevent disease via combined Fc/Fab functions, but that two doses may be essential to block further transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and emerging variants.
recombinant SARS-CoV-2 spike glycoprotein (NVX-CoV2373)
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16590
- Collaboration between the Fab and Fc contribute to maximal protection against SARS-CoV-2 in nonhuman primates following NVX-CoV2373 subunit vaccine with Matrix-M™ vaccination.
- Authors: Gorman MJ, Patel N, Guebre-Xabier M, Zhu A, Atyeo C, Pullen KM, Loos C, Goez-Gazi Y, Carrion R Jr, Tian JH, Yaun D, Bowman K, Zhou B, Maciejewski S, McGrath ME, Logue J, Frieman MB, Montefiori D, Mann C, Schendel S, Amanat F, Krammer F, Saphire EO, Lauffenburger D, Greene AM, Portnoff AD, Massare MJ, Ellingsworth L, Glenn G, Smith G, Alter G
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 5
- Collaboration between the Fab and Fc contribute to maximal protection against SARS-CoV-2 following NVX-CoV2373 subunit vaccine with Matrix-M™ vaccination.
- Authors: Alter G, Gorman M, Patel N, Guebre-Xabier M, Zhu A, Atyeo C, Pullen K, Loos C, Goez-Gazi Y, Carrion R Jr, Tian JH, Yuan D, Bowman K, Zhou B, Maciejewski S, McGrath M, Logue J, Frieman M, Montefiori D, Schendel S, Saphire EO, Lauffenburger D, Greene A, Portnoff A, Massare M, Ellingsworth L, Glenn G, Smith G, Mann C, Amanat F, Krammer F
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 15
- Different dose regimens of a SARS-CoV-2 recombinant spike protein vaccine (NVX-CoV2373) in younger and older adults: A phase 2 randomized placebo-controlled trial.
- Authors: Formica N, Mallory R, Albert G, Robinson M, Plested JS, Cho I, Robertson A, Dubovsky F, Glenn GM, 2019nCoV-101 Study Group.
- Issue date: 2021 Oct
- SARS-CoV-2 spike glycoprotein vaccine candidate NVX-CoV2373 immunogenicity in baboons and protection in mice.
- Authors: Tian JH, Patel N, Haupt R, Zhou H, Weston S, Hammond H, Logue J, Portnoff AD, Norton J, Guebre-Xabier M, Zhou B, Jacobson K, Maciejewski S, Khatoon R, Wisniewska M, Moffitt W, Kluepfel-Stahl S, Ekechukwu B, Papin J, Boddapati S, Jason Wong C, Piedra PA, Frieman MB, Massare MJ, Fries L, Bengtsson KL, Stertman L, Ellingsworth L, Glenn G, Smith G
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 14
- Immunogenicity and safety of a SARS-CoV-2 recombinant spike protein nanoparticle vaccine in people living with and without HIV-1 infection: a randomised, controlled, phase 2A/2B trial.
- Authors: Madhi SA, Moodley D, Hanley S, Archary M, Hoosain Z, Lalloo U, Louw C, Fairlie L, Fouche LF, Masilela MSL, Singh N, Grobbelaar C, Ahmed K, Benadé G, Bhikha S, Bhorat AE, Bhorat Q, Joseph N, Dheda K, Esmail A, Foulkes S, Goga A, Oommen Jose A, Kruger G, Kalonji DJ, Lalloo N, Lombaard JJ, Lombard Koen A, Kany Luabeya A, Mngqibisa R, Petrick FG, Pitsi A, Tameris M, Thombrayil A, Vollgraaff PL, Cloney-Clark S, Zhu M, Bennett C, Albert G, Faust E, Plested JS, Fries L, Robertson A, Neal S, Cho I, Glenn GM, Shinde V, 2019nCoV-501 Study Group.
- Issue date: 2022 May