Fab and Fc contribute to maximal protection against SARS-CoV-2 following NVX-CoV2373 subunit vaccine with Matrix-M™ vaccination
AuthorGorman, Matthew J
Zhu, Alex L
Pullen, Krista M
Bowman, Kathryn A
McGrath, Marisa E
Frieman, Matthew B
Saphire, Erica Ollmann
Greene, Ann M
Portnoff, Alyse D
Massare, Michael J
JournalCell Reports. Medicine
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRecently approved vaccines have shown remarkable efficacy in limiting SARS-CoV-2 associated disease. However, with the variety of vaccines, immunization strategies, and waning antibody titers, defining correlates of immunity across a spectrum of antibody titers is urgently required. Thus, we profiled the humoral immune response in a cohort of non-human primates immunized with a recombinant SARS-CoV-2 spike glycoprotein (NVX-CoV2373) at two doses, administered as a single or two-dose regimen. Both antigen dose and boosting significantly altered neutralization titers and Fc-effector profiles, driving unique vaccine-induced antibody fingerprints Combined differences in antibody effector functions and neutralization were associated with distinct levels of protection in the upper and lower respiratory tract. Moreover, NVX-CoV2373 elicited antibodies that functionally targeted emerging SARS-CoV-2 variants. Collectively, the data presented here suggest that a single dose may prevent disease via combined Fc/Fab functions, but that two doses may be essential to block further transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and emerging variants.
recombinant SARS-CoV-2 spike glycoprotein (NVX-CoV2373)
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16590
- Collaboration between the Fab and Fc contribute to maximal protection against SARS-CoV-2 in nonhuman primates following NVX-CoV2373 subunit vaccine with Matrix-M™ vaccination.
- Authors: Gorman MJ, Patel N, Guebre-Xabier M, Zhu A, Atyeo C, Pullen KM, Loos C, Goez-Gazi Y, Carrion R Jr, Tian JH, Yaun D, Bowman K, Zhou B, Maciejewski S, McGrath ME, Logue J, Frieman MB, Montefiori D, Mann C, Schendel S, Amanat F, Krammer F, Saphire EO, Lauffenburger D, Greene AM, Portnoff AD, Massare MJ, Ellingsworth L, Glenn G, Smith G, Alter G
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 5
- Collaboration between the Fab and Fc contribute to maximal protection against SARS-CoV-2 following NVX-CoV2373 subunit vaccine with Matrix-M™ vaccination.
- Authors: Alter G, Gorman M, Patel N, Guebre-Xabier M, Zhu A, Atyeo C, Pullen K, Loos C, Goez-Gazi Y, Carrion R Jr, Tian JH, Yuan D, Bowman K, Zhou B, Maciejewski S, McGrath M, Logue J, Frieman M, Montefiori D, Schendel S, Saphire EO, Lauffenburger D, Greene A, Portnoff A, Massare M, Ellingsworth L, Glenn G, Smith G, Mann C, Amanat F, Krammer F
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 15
- NVX-CoV2373 vaccine protects cynomolgus macaque upper and lower airways against SARS-CoV-2 challenge.
- Authors: Guebre-Xabier M, Patel N, Tian JH, Zhou B, Maciejewski S, Lam K, Portnoff AD, Massare MJ, Frieman MB, Piedra PA, Ellingsworth L, Glenn G, Smith G
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 25
- SARS-CoV-2 spike glycoprotein vaccine candidate NVX-CoV2373 immunogenicity in baboons and protection in mice.
- Authors: Tian JH, Patel N, Haupt R, Zhou H, Weston S, Hammond H, Logue J, Portnoff AD, Norton J, Guebre-Xabier M, Zhou B, Jacobson K, Maciejewski S, Khatoon R, Wisniewska M, Moffitt W, Kluepfel-Stahl S, Ekechukwu B, Papin J, Boddapati S, Jason Wong C, Piedra PA, Frieman MB, Massare MJ, Fries L, Bengtsson KL, Stertman L, Ellingsworth L, Glenn G, Smith G
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 14
- Efficacy of NVX-CoV2373 Covid-19 Vaccine against the B.1.351 Variant.
- Authors: Shinde V, Bhikha S, Hoosain Z, Archary M, Bhorat Q, Fairlie L, Lalloo U, Masilela MSL, Moodley D, Hanley S, Fouche L, Louw C, Tameris M, Singh N, Goga A, Dheda K, Grobbelaar C, Kruger G, Carrim-Ganey N, Baillie V, de Oliveira T, Lombard Koen A, Lombaard JJ, Mngqibisa R, Bhorat AE, Benadé G, Lalloo N, Pitsi A, Vollgraaff PL, Luabeya A, Esmail A, Petrick FG, Oommen-Jose A, Foulkes S, Ahmed K, Thombrayil A, Fries L, Cloney-Clark S, Zhu M, Bennett C, Albert G, Faust E, Plested JS, Robertson A, Neal S, Cho I, Glenn GM, Dubovsky F, Madhi SA, 2019nCoV-501 Study Group.
- Issue date: 2021 May 20