Desmin interacts with STIM1 and coordinates Ca2+ signaling in skeletal muscle
Bryson, Victoria Graham
Kerr, Jaclyn P
Muoio, Deborah M
Bloch, Robert J
Rosenberg, Paul B
PublisherAmerican Society for Clinical Investigation
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractStromal interaction molecule 1 (STIM1), the sarcoplasmic reticulum (SR) transmembrane protein, activates store-operated Ca2+ entry (SOCE) in skeletal muscle and, thereby, coordinates Ca2+ homeostasis, Ca2+-dependent gene expression, and contractility. STIM1 occupies space in the junctional SR membrane of the triads and the longitudinal SR at the Z-line. How STIM1 is organized and is retained in these specific subdomains of the SR is unclear. Here, we identified desmin, the major type III intermediate filament protein in muscle, as a binding partner for STIM1 based on a yeast 2-hybrid screen. Validation of the desmin-STIM1 interaction by immunoprecipitation and immunolocalization confirmed that the CC1-SOAR domains of STIM1 interact with desmin to enhance STIM1 oligomerization yet limit SOCE. Based on our studies of desmin-KO mice, we developed a model wherein desmin connected STIM1 at the Z-line in order to regulate the efficiency of Ca2+ refilling of the SR. Taken together, these studies showed that desmin-STIM1 assembles a cytoskeletal-SR connection that is important for Ca2+ signaling in skeletal muscle.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16586
- Stromal interaction molecule 1 (STIM1) regulates sarcoplasmic/endoplasmic reticulum Ca²⁺-ATPase 1a (SERCA1a) in skeletal muscle.
- Authors: Lee KJ, Hyun C, Woo JS, Park CS, Kim DH, Lee EH
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Mechanistic insights into store-operated Ca<sup>2+</sup> entry during excitation-contraction coupling in skeletal muscle.
- Authors: Koenig X, Choi RH, Schicker K, Singh DP, Hilber K, Launikonis BS
- Issue date: 2019 Jul
- STIM1 as a key regulator for Ca2+ homeostasis in skeletal-muscle development and function.
- Authors: Kiviluoto S, Decuypere JP, De Smedt H, Missiaen L, Parys JB, Bultynck G
- Issue date: 2011 Apr 4
- Calcium entry units (CEUs): perspectives in skeletal muscle function and disease.
- Authors: Protasi F, Pietrangelo L, Boncompagni S
- Issue date: 2021 Jun
- Pathological Mechanism of a Constitutively Active Form of Stromal Interaction Molecule 1 in Skeletal Muscle.
- Authors: Park JH, Jeong SY, Choi JH, Lee EH
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 21