The mechanism of MICU-dependent gating of the mitochondrial Ca2+ uniporter
Milescu, Lorin S
Lederer, W Jonathan
PublishereLife Sciences Publications
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCa2+ entry into mitochondria is through the mitochondrial calcium uniporter complex (MCUcx), a Ca2+-selective channel composed of five subunit types. Two MCUcx subunits (MCU and EMRE) span the inner mitochondrial membrane, while three Ca2+-regulatory subunits (MICU1, MICU2 and MICU3) reside in the intermembrane space. Here we provide rigorous analysis of Ca2+ and Na+ fluxes via MCUcx in intact isolated mitochondria to understand the function of MICU subunits. We also perform direct patch clamp recordings of macroscopic and single MCUcx currents to gain further mechanistic insight. This comprehensive analysis shows that the MCUcx pore, composed of the EMRE and MCU subunits, is not occluded nor plugged by MICUs during the absence or presence of extramitochondrial Ca2+ as has been widely reported. Instead, MICUs potentiate activity of MCUcx as extramitochondrial Ca2+ is elevated. MICUs achieve this by modifying the gating properties of MCUcx allowing it to spend more time in the open state.
Rights/Terms© 2021, Garg et al.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16532
- Calcium influx through the mitochondrial calcium uniporter holocomplex, MCU<sub>cx</sub>.
- Authors: Boyman L, Greiser M, Lederer WJ
- Issue date: 2021 Feb
- EMRE Is a Matrix Ca(2+) Sensor that Governs Gatekeeping of the Mitochondrial Ca(2+) Uniporter.
- Authors: Vais H, Mallilankaraman K, Mak DD, Hoff H, Payne R, Tanis JE, Foskett JK
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 26
- The conserved aspartate ring of MCU mediates MICU1 binding and regulation in the mitochondrial calcium uniporter complex.
- Authors: Phillips CB, Tsai CW, Tsai MF
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 15
- The structure of the MICU1-MICU2 complex unveils the regulation of the mitochondrial calcium uniporter.
- Authors: Wu W, Shen Q, Zhang R, Qiu Z, Wang Y, Zheng J, Jia Z
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 1
- EMRE is an essential component of the mitochondrial calcium uniporter complex.
- Authors: Sancak Y, Markhard AL, Kitami T, Kovács-Bogdán E, Kamer KJ, Udeshi ND, Carr SA, Chaudhuri D, Clapham DE, Li AA, Calvo SE, Goldberger O, Mootha VK
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 13