High Rate of False Negative Diagnosis of Silent Patent Ductus Arteriosus on the Chest CT with 3 mm Slice-Thickness, Suggesting the Need for Analysis with Thinner Slice Thickness
JournalTomography (Ann Arbor, Mich.)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe purpose of this study was to evaluate the diagnostic accuracy of patent with ductus arteriosus (PDA) based on the availability of pretest information on routine chest CT with 3 mm slice-thickness. We retrospectively evaluated CT of 64 patients with PDA. The enrolled patients were categorized as group 1 (presence of pretest information) and 2 (absence of pretest information, silent PDA). CTs were read by eleven board-certified radiologists, and subsequently by two blind readers. We investigated whether a PDA was mentioned on the initial CT reading. Correct diagnosis of PDA was made in all patients with group 1 (n = 42). In contrast, only 13.7% were correctly diagnosed in group 2. All cases of missed PDA in group 2 were also missed by two blind readers. It is important to realize that the diagnostic accuracy of silent PDA is poor on the chest CT with 3 mm slice-thickness. Thus, use of axial CT images with the thinnest slice-thickness and multi-planar reformatted images (i.e., sagittal and coronal images) may be one way to reduce the number of missed PDA.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16499
- Detailed radiological study of the patent ductus arteriosus: a computed tomography study in the Polish population.
- Authors: Krupiński M, Irzyk M, Moczulski Z, Banyś R, Kuniewicz M, Urbańczyk-Zawadzka M
- Issue date: 2020
- High prevalence of a linear valve-like structure on CT at the pulmonary artery terminus of patent ductus arteriosus in adult patients, mimicking endarteritis.
- Authors: Son MJ, Chun EJ, Yoo SM, Lee HY, Song IS, White CS
- Issue date: 2021 Mar
- Correlation of ductus arteriosus length and morphology between computed tomographic angiography and catheter angiography and their relation to ductal stent length.
- Authors: Jadhav SP, Aggarwal V, Masand PM, Diaz E, Zhang W, Qureshi AM
- Issue date: 2020 May
- The Patent Ductus Arteriosus in Adults with Special Focus on Role of CT.
- Authors: Lee SJ, Yoo SM, Son MJ, White CS
- Issue date: 2021 Dec 19
- Ibuprofen for the prevention of patent ductus arteriosus in preterm and/or low birth weight infants.
- Authors: Ohlsson A, Shah SS
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 27