Symptoms and Treatment Needs of People with Dementia-Related Psychosis: A Mixed-Methods Study of the Patient Experience
PublisherTaylor and Francis Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjectives: This study describes the person-centered experience and impact of symptoms and the treatment needs of dementia-related psychosis (DRP) from a patient and care partner perspective. Methods: Qualitative interviews and a quantitative survey were used to collect patient experience data from persons with DRP or their care partners. Results: Sixteen participants (1 person with DRP, 15 care partners) completed the qualitative interview; 212 participants (26 persons with DRP, 186 care partners) completed the quantitative survey. The most commonly reported symptoms were visual hallucinations, auditory hallucinations, persecutory delusions, and distortion of senses. The most common impacts were difficulty differentiating what is real from what is not real, increased anxiety, and effects on personal relationships. Current treatments were less than moderately helpful, and the ability to distinguish what is real from what is not real and overall symptom improvement were described as the most important benefits of an ideal treatment. Conclusions: Patient experience data provide insights into urgent therapeutic needs of patients by describing the nature, frequency, and severity of symptoms and the impacts they have on individuals’ lives. Clinical Implications: Patient experience data demonstrate an unmet need for treatments to reduce the symptoms and impacts of DRP. © 2021 The Author(s). Published with license by Taylor & Francis Group, LLC.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16408
- Economic Burden of Dementia Related Psychosis Among Medicare Beneficiaries: A State-Transition Markov Analysis of Total Annual Direct Costs.
- Authors: Sangha K, Rashid N, Abler V, Rajagopalan K
- Issue date: 2021 Apr
- Epidemiology and Pathophysiology of Dementia-Related Psychosis.
- Authors: Aarsland D
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 15
- Burden of illness among patients with dementia-related psychosis.
- Authors: Frazer M, Abler V, Halpern R, Skoog B, Rashid N
- Issue date: 2021 Mar
- [Neuropsychiatric features in Dementia with Lewy bodies and Alzheimer's disease].
- Authors: Hirono N, Mori E, Imamura T, Shimomura T, Hashimoto M
- Issue date: 1998 Jan
- Impact of Dementia-Related Psychosis on Patients and Caregivers: The Treatment Imperative.
- Authors: Aarsland D
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 3