Hemin activation abrogates Mycoplasma hyorhinis replication in chronically infected prostate cancer cells via heme oxygenase-1 induction
Buehler, Paul W
Yamada, Kenneth M
JournalFEBS Open Bio
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMycoplasma hyorhinis (M. hyorhinis) lacks a cell wall and resists multiple antibiotics. We describe here the striking >90% inhibitory effect of hemin, a natural inducer of the cytoprotective enzyme heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1), on M. hyorhinis replication in chronically infected LNCaP prostate cancer cells. The role of HO-1 in interrupting M. hyorhinis replication was confirmed by HO-1-specific siRNA suppression of hemin-induced HO-1 protein expression, which increased intracellular M. hyorhinis DNA levels in LNCaP cells. Proteomic analysis and transmission electron microscopy of hemin-treated cells confirmed the complete absence of M. hyorhinis proteins and intact microorganisms, respectively, strongly supporting these findings. Our study is the first to our knowledge suggesting therapeutic potential for activated HO-1 in cellular innate responses against mycoplasma infection.
Rights/TermsThis article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16370
- Nrf2-dependent induction of innate host defense via heme oxygenase-1 inhibits Zika virus replication.
- Authors: Huang H, Falgout B, Takeda K, Yamada KM, Dhawan S
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Hemin activation ameliorates HIV-1 infection via heme oxygenase-1 induction.
- Authors: Devadas K, Dhawan S
- Issue date: 2006 Apr 1
- Hemin inhibits NO production by IL-1β-stimulated human astrocytes through induction of heme oxygenase-1 and reduction of p38 MAPK activation.
- Authors: Sheng WS, Hu S, Nettles AR, Lokensgard JR, Vercellotti GM, Rock RB
- Issue date: 2010 Sep 7
- Therapeutic potential of the heme oxygenase-1 inducer hemin against Ebola virus infection.
- Authors: Huang H, Konduru K, Solovena V, Zhou ZH, Kumari N, Takeda K, Nekhai S, Bavari S, Kaplan GG, Yamada KM, Dhawan S
- Issue date: 2016
- Induction of heme oxygenase-1 with hemin alleviates cisplatin-induced reproductive toxicity in male rats and enhances its cytotoxicity in prostate cancer cell line.
- Authors: Heeba GH, Hamza AA, Hassanin SO
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 15