Compounds Isolated from Regulate Bone Remodeling by Modulating Osteoblast and Osteoclast Activities
JournalFrontiers in Pharmacology
PublisherFrontiers Media S.A.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBone remodeling, a dynamic process in which bone formation by osteoblast is preceded by bone resorption by osteoclast, is a vital physiological process for maintaining bone mass and strength, imbalances in which could precipitate osteoporosis. Due to the unilateral mechanism of the existing bone remodeling drugs, identifying compounds that could regulate the balance between osteoclast and osteoblast could improve the treatment of osteoporosis. Here, we show that compounds isolated from Wikstroemia taiwanensis modulate osteoclast and osteoblast activities. Specifically, astragalin (1) and kaempferol 3-O-β-D-apiofuranosyl-(1→6)-β-D-glucopyranoside (2), besides increasing mineral deposition, increased alkaline phosphatase activity (137.2% for 1 and 115.8% for 2) and ESR-α expression (112.8% for 1 and 122.5% for 2) in primary human osteoblasts. In contrast, compounds 1, 2, 3, and 5 inhibited tartrate-resistant acid phosphatase (TRAP) activity in receptor activator of nuclear factor-κB ligand-induced osteoclasts by 40.8, 17.1, 25.9, and 14.5% and also decreased the number of TRAP-positive cells by 51.6, 26.8, 20.5, and 18.6%, respectively. Our findings, therefore, showed that compounds isolated from W. taiwanensis could increase osteoblast activity while simultaneously decreasing osteoclast activity, and hence, warrant further evaluation for development as anti-osteoporosis agents.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 Imtiyaz, Lin, Liang, Chiou and Lee.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16351
- WHI-131 Promotes Osteoblast Differentiation and Prevents Osteoclast Formation and Resorption in Mice.
- Authors: Cheon YH, Kim JY, Baek JM, Ahn SJ, Jun HY, Erkhembaatar M, Kim MS, Lee MS, Oh J
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Rev-erbα Negatively Regulates Osteoclast and Osteoblast Differentiation through p38 MAPK Signaling Pathway.
- Authors: Kim K, Kim JH, Kim I, Seong S, Kim N
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 31
- Emodin regulates bone remodeling by inhibiting osteoclastogenesis and stimulating osteoblast formation.
- Authors: Kim JY, Cheon YH, Kwak SC, Baek JM, Yoon KH, Lee MS, Oh J
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Poligoni Multiflori Radix enhances osteoblast formation and reduces osteoclast differentiation.
- Authors: Han SY, Lee KH, Kim YK
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- Coenzyme q10 regulates osteoclast and osteoblast differentiation.
- Authors: Moon HJ, Ko WK, Jung MS, Kim JH, Lee WJ, Park KS, Heo JK, Bang JB, Kwon IK
- Issue date: 2013 May