Umeton, Raffaella Pizzolato
JournalJournal of Clinical Medicine
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSince the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, due to severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection, accumulating evidence indicates that SARS-CoV-2 infection may be associated with various neurological manifestations, including acute cerebrovascular events (i.e., stroke and cerebral venous thrombosis). These events can occur prior to, during and even after the onset of COVID-19's general symptoms. Although the mechanisms underlying the cerebrovascular complications in patients with COVID-19 are yet to be fully elucidated, the hypercoagulability state, inflammation and altered angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE-2) signaling in association with SARS-CoV-2 may play key roles. ACE-2 plays a critical role in preserving heart and brain homeostasis. In this review, we discuss the current state of knowledge of the possible mechanisms underlying the acute cerebrovascular events in patients with COVID-19, and we review the current epidemiological studies and case reports of neurovascular complications in association with SARS-CoV-2, as well as the relevant therapeutic approaches that have been considered worldwide. As the number of published COVID-19 cases with cerebrovascular events is growing, prospective studies would help gather more valuable insights into the pathophysiology of cerebrovascular events, effective therapies, and the factors predicting poor functional outcomes related to such events in COVID-19 patients.
Keywordangiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE-2)
cerebral venous thrombosis
coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)
severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16348
- Neuronal and Cerebrovascular Complications in Coronavirus Disease 2019.
- Authors: Andrabi MS, Andrabi SA
- Issue date: 2020
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2), SARS-CoV-2 and the pathophysiology of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
- Authors: Bourgonje AR, Abdulle AE, Timens W, Hillebrands JL, Navis GJ, Gordijn SJ, Bolling MC, Dijkstra G, Voors AA, Osterhaus AD, van der Voort PH, Mulder DJ, van Goor H
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- COVID-19 and cerebrovascular diseases: a comprehensive overview.
- Authors: Tsivgoulis G, Palaiodimou L, Zand R, Lioutas VA, Krogias C, Katsanos AH, Shoamanesh A, Sharma VK, Shahjouei S, Baracchini C, Vlachopoulos C, Gournellis R, Sfikakis PP, Sandset EC, Alexandrov AV, Tsiodras S
- Issue date: 2020
- Neurological manifestations associated with SARS-CoV-2 and other coronaviruses: A narrative review for clinicians.
- Authors: Maury A, Lyoubi A, Peiffer-Smadja N, de Broucker T, Meppiel E
- Issue date: 2021 Jan-Feb
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 and Stroke: Clinical Manifestations and Pathophysiological Insights.
- Authors: Divani AA, Andalib S, Di Napoli M, Lattanzi S, Hussain MS, Biller J, McCullough LD, Azarpazhooh MR, Seletska A, Mayer SA, Torbey M
- Issue date: 2020 Aug