Phase II trial of proton therapy versus photon IMRT for GBM: secondary analysis comparison of progression-free survival between RANO versus clinical assessment
AuthorAl Feghali, Karine A
Randall, James W
Liu, Diane D
Wefel, Jeffrey S
Brown, Paul D
Grosshans, David R
McAvoy, Sarah A
Farhat, Maguy A
McGovern, Susan L
McAleer, Mary F
Ghia, Amol J
Paulino, Arnold C
Sulman, Erik P
de Groot, John
Heimberger, Amy B
Armstrong, Terri S
Gilbert, Mark R
PublisherOxford University Press
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: This secondary image analysis of a randomized trial of proton radiotherapy (PT) versus photon intensity-modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) compares tumor progression based on clinical radiological assessment versus Response Assessment in Neuro-Oncology (RANO). Methods: Eligible patients were enrolled in the randomized trial and had MR imaging at baseline and follow-up beyond 12 weeks from completion of radiotherapy. “Clinical progression” was based on a clinical radiology report of progression and/or change in treatment for progression. Results: Of 90 enrolled patients, 66 were evaluable. Median clinical progression-free survival (PFS) was 10.8 (range: 9.4–14.7) months; 10.8 months IMRT versus 11.2 months PT (P = .14). Median RANO-PFS was 8.2 (range: 6.9, 12): 8.9 months IMRT versus 6.6 months PT (P = .24). RANO-PFS was significantly shorter than clinical PFS overall (P = .001) and for both the IMRT (P = .01) and PT (P = .04) groups. There were 31 (46.3%) discrepant cases of which 17 had RANO progression more than a month prior to clinical progression, and 14 had progression by RANO but not clinical criteria. Conclusions: Based on this secondary analysis of a trial of PT versus IMRT for glioblastoma, while no difference in PFS was noted relative to treatment technique, RANO criteria identified progression more often and earlier than clinical assessment. This highlights the disconnect between measures of tumor response in clinical trials versus clinical practice. With growing efforts to utilize real-world data and personalized treatment with timely adaptation, there is a growing need to improve the consistency of determining tumor progression within clinical trials and clinical practice.
Rights/Terms© The Author(s) 2021. Published by Oxford University Press, the Society for Neuro-Oncology and the European Association of Neuro-Oncology.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16303
- A prospective phase II randomized trial of proton radiotherapy vs intensity-modulated radiotherapy for patients with newly diagnosed glioblastoma.
- Authors: Brown PD, Chung C, Liu DD, McAvoy S, Grosshans D, Al Feghali K, Mahajan A, Li J, McGovern SL, McAleer MF, Ghia AJ, Sulman EP, Penas-Prado M, de Groot JF, Heimberger AB, Wang J, Armstrong TS, Gilbert MR, Guha-Thakurta N, Wefel JS
- Issue date: 2021 Aug 2
- The Impact of T2/FLAIR Evaluation per RANO Criteria on Response Assessment of Recurrent Glioblastoma Patients Treated with Bevacizumab.
- Authors: Huang RY, Rahman R, Ballman KV, Felten SJ, Anderson SK, Ellingson BM, Nayak L, Lee EQ, Abrey LE, Galanis E, Reardon DA, Pope WB, Cloughesy TF, Wen PY
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 1
- Modified RANO, Immunotherapy RANO, and Standard RANO Response to Convection-Enhanced Delivery of IL4R-Targeted Immunotoxin MDNA55 in Recurrent Glioblastoma.
- Authors: Ellingson BM, Sampson J, Achrol AS, Aghi MK, Bankiewicz K, Wang C, Bexon M, Brem S, Brenner A, Chowdhary S, Floyd JR, Han S, Kesari S, Randazzo D, Vogelbaum MA, Vrionis F, Zabek M, Butowski N, Coello M, Merchant N, Merchant F
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 15
- Earliest radiological progression in glioblastoma by multidisciplinary consensus review.
- Authors: Eijgelaar RS, Bruynzeel AME, Lagerwaard FJ, Müller DMJ, Teunissen FR, Barkhof F, van Herk M, De Witt Hamer PC, Witte MG
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- A Comparative Retrospective Study of Immunotherapy RANO <i>Versus</i> Standard RANO Criteria in Glioblastoma Patients Receiving Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor Therapy.
- Authors: Chen X, Lim-Fat MJ, Qin L, Li A, Bryant A, Bay CP, Gao L, Miskin N, Liu Z, Iorgulescu JB, Xu X, Reardon DA, Young GS
- Issue date: 2021