Impact of Amerind ancestry and FADS genetic variation on omega-3 deficiency and cardiometabolic traits in Hispanic populations
Chai, Jin Choul
O'Connor, Timothy D
Reynolds, Lindsay M
Wood, Alexis C
Chen, Yii-Der Ida
Steffen, Lyn M
Tsai, Michael Y
Kaplan, Robert C
Daviglus, Martha L
Mandarino, Lawrence J
Fretts, Amanda M
Lemaitre, Rozenn N
Coletta, Dawn K
Blomquist, Sarah A
Johnstone, Laurel M
Rich, Stephen S
Mathias, Rasika A
Chilton, Floyd H
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLong chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (LC-PUFAs) have critical signaling roles that regulate dyslipidemia and inflammation. Genetic variation in the FADS gene cluster accounts for a large portion of interindividual differences in circulating and tissue levels of LC-PUFAs, with the genotypes most strongly predictive of low LC-PUFA levels at strikingly higher frequencies in Amerind ancestry populations. In this study, we examined relationships between genetic ancestry and FADS variation in 1102 Hispanic American participants from the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. We demonstrate strong negative associations between Amerind genetic ancestry and LC-PUFA levels. The FADS rs174537 single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) accounted for much of the AI ancestry effect on LC-PUFAs, especially for low levels of n-3 LC-PUFAs. Rs174537 was also strongly associated with several metabolic, inflammatory and anthropomorphic traits including circulating triglycerides (TGs) and E-selectin in MESA Hispanics. Our study demonstrates that Amerind ancestry provides a useful and readily available tool to identify individuals most likely to have FADS-related n-3 LC-PUFA deficiencies and associated cardiovascular risk.
Rights/Terms© 2021. The Author(s).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16295
- Erythrocyte polyunsaturated fatty acid composition is associated with depression and FADS genotype in Caucasians.
- Authors: Cribb L, Murphy J, Froud A, Oliver G, Bousman CA, Ng CH, Sarris J
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- Impact of Genetic and Epigenetic Variations Within the FADS Cluster on the Composition and Metabolism of Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids in Prostate Cancer.
- Authors: Cui T, Hester AG, Seeds MC, Rahbar E, Howard TD, Sergeant S, Chilton FH
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Allele-specific methylation in the <i>FADS</i> genomic region in DNA from human saliva, CD4+ cells, and total leukocytes.
- Authors: Rahbar E, Waits CMK, Kirby EH Jr, Miller LR, Ainsworth HC, Cui T, Sergeant S, Howard TD, Langefeld CD, Chilton FH
- Issue date: 2018
- Umbilical cord PUFA are determined by maternal and child fatty acid desaturase (FADS) genetic variants in the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children (ALSPAC).
- Authors: Lattka E, Koletzko B, Zeilinger S, Hibbeln JR, Klopp N, Ring SM, Steer CD
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 14
- Precision Nutrition and Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids: A Case for Personalized Supplementation Approaches for the Prevention and Management of Human Diseases.
- Authors: Chilton FH, Dutta R, Reynolds LM, Sergeant S, Mathias RA, Seeds MC
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 25