ECO-CollecTF: A Corpus of Annotated Evidence-Based Assertions in Biomedical Manuscripts
AuthorHobbs, Elizabeth T
Goralski, Stephen M
Munro, James B
JournalFrontiers in Research Metrics and Analytics
PublisherFrontiers Media S.A.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAnalysis of high-throughput experiments in the life sciences frequently relies upon standardized information about genes, gene products, and other biological entities. To provide this information, expert curators are increasingly relying on text mining tools to identify, extract and harmonize statements from biomedical journal articles that discuss findings of interest. For determining reliability of the statements, curators need the evidence used by the authors to support their assertions. It is important to annotate the evidence directly used by authors to qualify their findings rather than simply annotating mentions of experimental methods without the context of what findings they support. Text mining tools require tuning and adaptation to achieve accurate performance. Many annotated corpora exist to enable developing and tuning text mining tools; however, none currently provides annotations of evidence based on the extensive and widely used Evidence and Conclusion Ontology. We present the ECO-CollecTF corpus, a novel, freely available, biomedical corpus of 84 documents that captures high-quality, evidence-based statements annotated with the Evidence and Conclusion Ontology.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 Hobbs, Goralski, Mitchell, Simpson, Leka, Kotey, Sekira, Munro, Nadendla, Jackson, Gonzalez-Aguirre, Krallinger, Giglio and Erill.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16294
- Concept annotation in the CRAFT corpus.
- Authors: Bada M, Eckert M, Evans D, Garcia K, Shipley K, Sitnikov D, Baumgartner WA Jr, Cohen KB, Verspoor K, Blake JA, Hunter LE
- Issue date: 2012 Jul 9
- The BioC-BioGRID corpus: full text articles annotated for curation of protein-protein and genetic interactions.
- Authors: Islamaj Dogan R, Kim S, Chatr-Aryamontri A, Chang CS, Oughtred R, Rust J, Wilbur WJ, Comeau DC, Dolinski K, Tyers M
- Issue date: 2017
- New directions in biomedical text annotation: definitions, guidelines and corpus construction.
- Authors: Wilbur WJ, Rzhetsky A, Shatkay H
- Issue date: 2006 Jul 25
- Assessment of disease named entity recognition on a corpus of annotated sentences.
- Authors: Jimeno A, Jimenez-Ruiz E, Lee V, Gaudan S, Berlanga R, Rebholz-Schuhmann D
- Issue date: 2008 Apr 11
- FoodBase corpus: a new resource of annotated food entities.
- Authors: Popovski G, Seljak BK, Eftimov T
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 1