Complete percutaneous decannulation from femoral venoarterial extracorporeal membrane oxygenation
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjectives: To evaluate the clinical outcomes and perioperative complications associated with complete percutaneous decannulation of femoral venoarterial extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (VA-ECMO) with the MANTA closure device. Methods: This is a retrospective analysis of a single surgeon consecutive series of 14 patients at a single center who underwent decannulation from VA-ECMO, 10 of whom underwent a percutaneous method of femoral cannula removal. Results: After a mean duration of VA-ECMO support of 7.4 ± 3.8 days, all 10 patients, with arterial cannulas ranging in size from 17 to 21 Fr, underwent percutaneous decannulation with the MANTA closure device, with immediate hemostasis. One patient had acute lower limb ischemia that was recognized intraoperatively and successfully treated with suction embolectomy. Two patients had a pseudoaneurysm at the distal perfusion catheter site recognized on perioperative imaging studies, one resolving with observation and the other necessitating thrombin injection. One patient had a hematoma that resolved with observation. Conclusions: Percutaneous decannulation from VA-ECMO using the MANTA large-bore vascular closure device is feasible and results in immediate hemostasis with excellent angiographic results.
Rights/Terms© 2020 The Authors.
KeywordCT, computed tomography
ECMO, extracorporeal membrane oxygenation
SFA, superficial femoral artery
extracorporeal membrane oxygenation
mechanical circulatory support
percutaneous vascular closure
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16273
- Percutaneous decannulation of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation using a plug-based closure device.
- Authors: Dalén M, Settergren M, Kastengren M, Ullström P, Fux T
- Issue date: 2022 May
- Percutaneous Decannulation of Femoral Venoarterial ECMO Cannulas Using MANTA Vascular Closure Device.
- Authors: Montero-Cabezas JM, van der Meer RW, van der Kley F, Elzo Kraemer CV, López Matta JE, Schalij MJ, de Weger A
- Issue date: 2019 Jun
- Venoarterial extracorporeal membrane oxygenation decannulation using the novel Manta vascular closure device.
- Authors: Bemtgen X, Heidt T, Zotzmann V, Rilinger J, Wengenmayer T, Biever PM, von Zur Mühlen C, Benk C, Bode C, Staudacher DL
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Comparing the outcomes of bedside percutaneous VA-ECMO decannulation by ProGlide and Manta in a high-ECMO-volume center in Hong Kong.
- Authors: Au SY, Chan KS, Fong KM, Wong HR, Fong YH, Chui SF, Chan KT, Lee KM, Ng WG, So SO, Leung KA
- Issue date: 2022 Jul
- Arterial protocol including prophylactic distal perfusion catheter decreases limb ischemia complications in patients undergoing extracorporeal membrane oxygenation.
- Authors: Lamb KM, DiMuzio PJ, Johnson A, Batista P, Moudgill N, McCullough M, Eisenberg JA, Hirose H, Cavarocchi NC
- Issue date: 2017 Apr