Transcriptomic Profiling of Control and Thyroid-Associated Orbitopathy (TAO) Orbital Fat and TAO Orbital Fibroblasts Undergoing Adipogenesis
AuthorKim, Dong Won
Santiago, Clayton P
McCulley, Timothy J
Merbs, Shannath L
Mahoney, Nicholas R
JournalInvestigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science
PublisherAssociation for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Inc. (ARVO)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPurpose: Orbital fat hyperplasia commonly occurs in thyroid-associated orbitopathy (TAO). To understand molecular mechanisms underlying orbital adipogenesis, we used transcriptomics to compare gene expression in controls and patients with TAO, as well as in orbital fibroblasts (OFs) undergoing adipogenic differentiation. Methods: We performed bulk RNA sequencing (RNA-Seq) on intraconal orbital fat from controls and patients with TAO. We treated cultured OFs derived from patients with TAO with adipogenic media to induce adipogenesis. We used single nucleus RNA-Seq (snRNA-Seq) to profile treated and control OFs, identifying genes that are dynamically expressed during orbital adipogenesis in vitro, and compared these results to data from control and TAO orbital fat. Results: Gene expression profiles in control and TAO orbital fat are distinct. Signaling pathways including PI3K-Akt signaling, cAMP signaling, AGE-RAGE signaling, regulation of lipolysis, and thyroid hormone signaling are enriched in orbital fat isolated from patients with TAO. SnRNA-Seq of orbital fibroblasts undergoing adipogenesis reveals differential expression of the adipocyte-specific genes FABP4/5, APOE, PPARG, and ADIPOQ during adipogenic differentiation. The insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor and Wnt signaling pathways appear to be enriched early in adipogenesis. Gene modules that are enriched in TAO orbital fat are upregulated in orbital adipocytes during differentiation in vitro, whereas genes that are enriched in control orbital fat are enriched in undifferentiated OFs. Conclusions: We identified pathways enriched in TAO orbital fat, and dynamic changes in gene expression that occur during adipogenic differentiation of orbital fibroblasts. These findings may help guide functional studies of genes and pathways critical for orbital adipogenesis.
orbital fat hyperplasia
Gene Expression Profiling
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16269
- RNA-Sequencing Gene Expression Profiling of Orbital Adipose-Derived Stem Cell Population Implicate HOX Genes and WNT Signaling Dysregulation in the Pathogenesis of Thyroid-Associated Orbitopathy.
- Authors: Tao W, Ayala-Haedo JA, Field MG, Pelaez D, Wester ST
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 1
- The role of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase 1 in adipogenesis in thyroid-associated ophthalmopathy.
- Authors: Tomlinson JW, Durrani OM, Bujalska IJ, Gathercole LL, Tomlins PJ, Reuser TT, Rose GE, Curnow SJ, Stewart PM, Walker EA, Rauz S
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- Elevated bone morphogenic protein 4 expression implicated in site-specific adipogenesis in thyroid associated orbitopathy.
- Authors: Wong JSC, Chu WK, Li BFL, Zhang BN, Pang CP, Chong KKL
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Insulin-like growth factor 1 promotes the proliferation and adipogenesis of orbital adipose-derived stromal cells in thyroid-associated ophthalmopathy.
- Authors: Zhao P, Deng Y, Gu P, Wang Y, Zhou H, Hu Y, Chen P, Fan X
- Issue date: 2013 Feb
- TGFβ-Treated Placenta-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells Selectively Promote Anti-Adipogenesis in Thyroid-Associated Ophthalmopathy.
- Authors: Shin HA, Park M, Banga JP, Lew H
- Issue date: 2022 May 17