JournalTrends in Immunology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLymph nodes (LNs), where immune responses are initiated, are organized into distinctive compartments by fibroblastic reticular cells (FRCs). FRCs imprint immune responses by supporting LN architecture, recruiting immune cells, coordinating immune cell crosstalk, and presenting antigens. Recent high-resolution transcriptional and histological analyses have enriched our knowledge of LN FRC genetic and spatial heterogeneities. Here, we summarize updated anatomic, phenotypic, and functional identities of FRC subsets, delve into topological and transcriptional remodeling of FRCs in inflammation, and illustrate the crosstalk between FRCs and immune cells. Discussing FRC functions in immunity and tolerance, we highlight state-of-the-art FRC-based therapeutic approaches for maintaining physiological homeostasis, steering protective immunity, inducing transplantation tolerance, and treating diverse immune-related diseases. © 2021
Rights/TermsPublished by Elsevier Ltd.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/16263
- Tissue-Engineered Stromal Reticula to Study Lymph Node Fibroblastic Reticular Cells in Type I Diabetes.
- Authors: Gonzalez Badillo F, Zisi Tegou F, Masina R, Wright S, Scully M, Harwell L, Lupp M, Postigo-Fernandez J, Creusot RJ, Tomei AA
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Trapping of naive lymphocytes triggers rapid growth and remodeling of the fibroblast network in reactive murine lymph nodes.
- Authors: Yang CY, Vogt TK, Favre S, Scarpellino L, Huang HY, Tacchini-Cottier F, Luther SA
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 7
- Fibroblastic reticular cells of the lymph node are required for retention of resting but not activated CD8+ T cells.
- Authors: Denton AE, Roberts EW, Linterman MA, Fearon DT
- Issue date: 2014 Aug 19
- Fibroblastic Reticular Cells Control Conduit Matrix Deposition during Lymph Node Expansion.
- Authors: Martinez VG, Pankova V, Krasny L, Singh T, Makris S, White IJ, Benjamin AC, Dertschnig S, Horsnell HL, Kriston-Vizi J, Burden JJ, Huang PH, Tape CJ, Acton SE
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 26
- Characterization of human fibroblastic reticular cells as potential immunotherapeutic tools.
- Authors: Valencia J, Jiménez E, Martínez VG, Del Amo BG, Hidalgo L, Entrena A, Fernández-Sevilla LM, Del Río F, Varas A, Vicente Á, Sacedón R
- Issue date: 2017 May